Ex-Cowboys defensive tackle Brent leaves jail

DALLAS — Former Dallas Cowboys defensive tackle Josh Brent was released from jail following his conviction for a drunken car crash that killed his friend and teammate.

The Dallas County sheriff’s office said Brent walked out of the Dallas County Jail on Sunday.

It was not immediately clear whether he would be required to report to a rehab facility to complete his six-month sentence, which was expected to end in July.

Brent was convicted in January of intoxication manslaughter for the December 2012 crash that killed Jerry Brown, a Cowboys practice squad player.

Brent’s blood-alcohol level was more than twice the legal limit when he crashed near Dallas.

Brent has since retired from the NFL.

It’s unclear if he would have to serve a suspension if he wanted to return.

Ex-Titans running back Thomas dies at 41

GROVETON, Texas — A Texas funeral home director said former Houston Oilers and Tennessee Titans running back Rodney Thomas has died at age 41.

Groveton Funeral Home owner Terry Cartwright said Thomas died Saturday of an unknown cause and that an autopsy is underway.

He said Thomas had been living in Spring, near Houston, with his wife and 4-year-old child and that he died during one of many visits to Groveton, where he grew up and where his mother lives.

The Oilers selected the Texas A&M running back in the third round of the 1995 NFL draft and he played six years for the team, including four after it moved to Tennessee and became the Titans.

He played his final season in 2001 with the Atlanta Falcons.

Federer wins 7th Gerry Weber Open title

HALLE, Germany — Roger Federer delivered a statement of intent for Wimbledon on Sunday by winning the grass-court Gerry Weber Open for the seventh time.

Federer fired five aces and saved three of the five break points he faced to defeat Alejandro Falla 7-6 (2), 7-6 (3) in the final.

It was the 14th title on grass and 79th overall for the 32-year-old Swiss star.

The seven-time Wimbledon champion improved his record to 46-5 in 12 appearances at the tournament where he made his debut 14 years ago.

Federer and compatriot Marco Chiudinelli were defeated 1-6, 7-5, 12-10 by Andre Begemann of Germany and Julian Knowle of Austria in the doubles final later Sunday.

Federer had been hoping to repeat his feats from Halle in 2005 and Vienna in 2003 of winning singles and doubles in the same tournament.

Matthews says he’s headed to Auburn

ATHENS, Ga. — Former Georgia safety Tray Matthews says he is transferring to Auburn.

Matthews made the announcement on his Twitter account Saturday.

Matthews was dismissed from the Georgia team by coach Mark Richt on June 3.

Matthews was the most prominent of four Georgia players arrested in March and charged with theft by deception for receiving double payments on checks issued by the athletic association.

The four were accepted this month into a pre-trial intervention program.

Matthews tweeted Saturday he is “Ready to be an Auburn Man” and said he is “very humbled by all that has happened.”

Matthews started six of the eight games he played as a freshman in 2013.

Auburn has not confirmed Matthews has been accepted as a transfer.

Quarterback Heaps transferring to Miami

CORAL GABLES, Fla. — Quarterback Jake Heaps is transferring from Kansas to Miami, where the former five-star recruit will join a team short on experienced passers.

Hurricanes coach Al Golden announced in a news release Sunday that Heaps has signed a financial aid agreement with the school. He has already graduated and will be eligible to play immediately.

Ryan Williams was expected to enter next season as Miami’s starting quarterback, but he is recovering from a knee injury. That leaves redshirt freshman Kevin Olsen, sophomore Gary Crow and incoming freshmen Brad Kaaya and Malik Rosier competing for the job.

Heaps, from Sammamish, Washington, started his college career at BYU after being one of the top quarterbacks in the 2010 recruiting class. He played two seasons for BYU before transferring to Kansas, where he struggled.

Ford extends deal with Homestead

BROOKLYN, Mich. — Ford Motor Co. is extending its sponsorship agreement with Homestead-Miami Speedway at least through 2019, and track president Matt Becherer is optimistic the venue will remain the host of NASCAR’s final weekend for the foreseeable future.

Advocate news services