Michael Beychok, the 2012 National Handicapping Championship and 2012 Eclipse Award winner for best handicapper, brings 35 years of experience to The Advocate. Beychok — also the senior partner of Ourso Beychok Inc., a national political consulting firm based in Louisiana — runs his own handicapping website, BeychokRacing.com. Follow him on Twitter: @BeychokRacing.
Picks made today for fast track and on turf
5. Deputysprettypenny: Broberg continues to win at a high rate early on in the meet.
4. Linnie Laurine: Another one coming off a drop and a bit of a layoff.
5. Sonoran Pegasus: OK, so he hasn’t run in two years — but he’s working well.
8. Willy Be Invited: Amoss trainee dropping down into sellers for first time.
4. Sneaky Blowout: Made nice move to contend then was turned back — sharper today.
8. Freddy One Bite: Claimed for higher wins and drops — not often seen maneuver.
6. Boudreaux: Has a win over the track: has the tactical speed to get early position.
5. Tee Brown: Most likely winner and favorite can certainly beat this bunch.
Off turf selections — 6-8.
1. Self Starter: Beaten soundly last two — gets a freshening and needed drop down.
3. One Better: Will be the one picking up any pieces of a speed duel.
10. Spartanburg: Ran a nearly winning race last time out by just missing.
11. Rue Bellamy: The old win, raise and claimed angle is still strong with Amoss.
Off turf selections — 5-3.
2. Distant Kingdom: Seems like last was a setup for this effort.
4. Creative Evil: Homebred will likely be going straight to the front.
1. Bethany Belle: Freshened and has solid turf form — gets PVal for added value.
4. Seeking Luck: Likely to come running late and run in the money .
Off turf selections — 1-4.
- inth race
3. Lil Becky: Dirt tries have been very solid, but these cheaper types hard to peg.
9. Ex Wives: Should be prominent from the get go and tough to run down.
Around the Track
Racing will return to the Fair Grounds the day after Christmas with a post holiday card. Chok’s Choices have struggled to keep pace with our expected hit rate, but we can assure readers that we will endeavor to study harder and longer to close out the year in a positive fashion. For all those who celebrate we wish everyone a Merry Christmas and a wonderful holiday.
Our best bet today will be in Race 4 — No. 6 Boudreaux. A winner already this season now tries the turf and in form horses are good bets on the repeat. Good luck and may they all come home safely.