NEW YORK — NBA owners have voted down proposed changes to the league’s draft lottery system, staving off efforts to curb tanking for the time being.
The proposal was defeated 17-13 on Wednesday at the league’s board of governors meetings. It was a somewhat surprising turn of events after appearing earlier in the week that there was support for reforms that would make it more difficult for teams with the worst records to secure the top pick in the draft.
The vote means the existing system will remain in place for now. The team with the worst record will still have a 25 percent chance at getting the top pick and cannot drop lower than fourth.
NBA Commissioner Adam Silver said there was some concern that implementing changes would “have unintended consequences.”
Police probe complaint against Griffin: In Las Vegas, police are investigating a man’s complaint that Blake Griffin attacked him during an argument over a photo taken while Los Angeles Clippers players partied at a Las Vegas Strip nightclub, authorities said Wednesday.
No arrest was immediately made after a man filed a battery complaint Sunday stemming from an altercation involving Griffin and a camera, Las Vegas police Officer Jesse Roybal said. He said the case remained open.
Clippers spokesman Seth Burton said the Clippers were aware of the complaint, but had no immediate comment.
The celebrity news website TMZ quoted a man who said Griffin grabbed his neck, took his cellphone and slapped him after he took a photo early Sunday at Tao nightclub at the Venetian resort.