Two Monroe area high schools, Carroll and Bastrop, are set to appeal Thursday’s ruling by a Louisiana High School Athletic Association sportsmanship committee that banned both teams from the football playoffs this season.

LHSAA Executive Director Kenny Henderson said the appeal will take place Wednesday afternoon in the LHSAA office. The appeal will follow a hardship committee meeting, and a time will be set early this week.

Bastrop and Carroll were involved in an Oct. 14 altercation that forced game officials to end the contest in the third quarter. Bastrop led 32-7 at the time of the fight and was awarded the win.

Henderson said the decision to ban both schools from the playoffs came about because the two schools did not take steps to identify individuals involved in the altercation.

“There were no player suspensions,” Henderson said. “Neither school identified its individuals, players and/or coaches who were involved in the incident. Based on that fact, we chose to ban the schools from the playoffs.

“Both schools were also placed on restrictive probation for the remainder of this school year. And they’ll be on disciplinary probation through the 2012 football season.”

Henderson said the coaches and administrators were also ordered to attend handbook certification classes, and the coaches will be required to complete the National Federation of State High School Association’s sportsmanship course.

Though not mandated, the committee also recommended Carroll and Bastrop not compete against each other in other sports for the remainder of the 2011-12 school year.

The Monroe hearing was one of two sportsmanship hearings held last week. On Tuesday, a total of 17 players — 10 from Baker and seven from Parkview Baptist, were given one-game suspensions. One Baker player was suspended for the final two regular-season games.

Northside forfeits

The Advertiser in Lafayette is reporting that Northside High has been ordered to forfeit all five of its football victory because of an ineligible player.

An LHSAA ruling was reportedly received before Northside’s game on Friday’s 35-16 loss to Teurlings Catholic. The school plans to appeal the decision.

Two District 5-5A teams, McKinley High and Woodlawn High, are among the teams in line to pick up forfeit wins if the ruling stands. Northside’s other wins were over LaGrange-Lake Charles, Cecilia and St. Martinville.

Baseball commitments

Central Private’s Seth Stevens and Episcopal’s Dylan Sellars are the latest local baseball players to commit to colleges.

Stevens, an All-Metro pick for CPS as a junior, has committed to Nicholls State. He hit .462 with eight home runs and 46 runs batted in.

Sellars has committed to Meridian Community College located in Meridian, Miss. Sellars was an All-Metro choice for the Knights as a junior, finishing with a 7-2 record and 70 strikeouts.

Teams needed

Pointe Coupee Central seeks three teams for its Holiday Classic basketball tournament set for Dec. 15-17.

Contact PCC coach Toby St. Cyr at school (225) 638-3085 or cell (225) 718-4100.

Compiled by Robin Fambrough