Edna Karr stated its case to be the No. 1 team in Class 4A days before the Louisiana Sports Writers Association’s preseason poll was released by rolling up 258 yards of total offense in a 17-6 win over St. Augustine at the Nick Conner/St. Augustine Jamboree held Friday.
Karr quarterback Jazmen Riley was 7-for-14 for 116 yards in the victory. Karr, the runner-up to Franklinton in Class 4A a year ago, garnered the No. 1 ranking in 4A on Tuesday.
The news was not as good for St. Augustine. Leonard Fournette, the Purple Knights’ standout sophomore running back, suffered a separated shoulder in the jamboree contest played at Tad Gormley Stadium.
Quarterback Toi Jenkins was 14-for-18 for 117 yards for St. Aug, rated 10th going into its first 4A season.
• Also at the St. Augustine Jamboree, Carlos Henderson rolled up 149 yards of total offense, helping McDonogh 35 notch a 20-0 victory over McMain.
Real kicks for Rebels
Class 2A Riverside Academy claimed an unusual 8-0 victory over 1A West St. John in the Ed Reed River Parishes Jamboree in LaPlace.
The Rebels, ranked fifth in 2A, got field goals of 39 and 33 yards from C.J. Edler along with a safety. LSU commitment Ronnie Feist was among the injured players who sat out the jamboree for WSJ, ranked sixth in 1A.
• Darion Monroe tossed two TD passes to Rashad Green, lifting Class 5A East St. John to a 20-14 win over host St. Charles Catholic in the other portion of the River Parishes Jamboree.
East St. John is ranked seventh in Class 5A, while St. Charles, which moves up to Class 3A from 2A this fall, is ranked second.
A Rebel rally
Top-ranked West Monroe, of Class 5A, trailed 13-0 at halftime before rallying to take a 21-13 victory over rival Neville in the Bayou Jamb.
A crowd of 29,300 fans attended the jamboree held at the University of Louisiana at Monroe’s Malone Stadiun.
• Another Monroe-based team, Ouachita, drove 56 yards in the final 2:06 to rally for a 28-22 win over Bastrop in the Bayou Jamb. Running back Demarkus Sledge scored the game-winning TD on an 8-yard run.
Happy returns for ECA
In Ruston, defending Class 2A state champion Evangel Christian Academy started in the Jam at the Joe played at Louisiana Tech. Two returns for TDs by Dwight Gatlin Jr. helped ignite the Eagles offense on the way to a 35-0 victory over Farmerville.
Gatlin returned a short field-goal attempt for a first-half score and then returned the second-half kickoff for another TD. Evangel also enters the season as the No. 1-ranked team in Class 2A.
• Austin Ginn had two rushing TDs, including one that came on a 36-yard run, leading Cedar Creek to a 22-0 win over Homer in another jamboree game played in Ruston.
• In Bossier City, Kolby Copeland threw a 48-yard TD pass to Malcolm Rogers, helping Parkway defeat Airline 20-7 in the Bossier Lions Club Jamboree.
First-year Parkway coach David Feaster’s previous head coaching stops include Leesville and Many.