Stories about football players who commit to colleges after successful seasons are the norm.
Darren Evans provides an exception. The Glen Oaks High defensive back-wide receiver committed to Nicholls State over the weekend to during an official visit to the school.
The fact that Class 3A Panthers finished 1-9 didn’t deter schools from recruiting the 6-foot-3, 170-pound Evans.
“I did the best I could for the team,” Evans said. “I just let it (recruiting) play out. The schools that were looking at me continued to recruit me and a couple came in later.”
Most schools recruited Evans as a defensive back. But he also had approximately 500 yards receiving for GOHS last fall.
Evans said he also had offers from Jackson State, Southern and the University of Louisiana at Lafayette. He spent part of his recruiting visit with another local player, White Castle High running back-defensive Dontrell Taylor.
Both Taylor and Zachary tight end Cameron Carrier also committed to the Colonels. Nicholls also reportedly has a commitment from University High linebacker Laryon James.
“Everything just kind of fell in place during my visit,” Evans said. “I like the school and the coaches and have faith that coach (Tim) Rebowe can turn things around.”
Hayes decision pending
Parkview Baptist coach Jay Mayet said quarterback Reggie Hayes Jr. is set to visit Navy this weekend and won’t sign until after that visit.
Hayes was the voted the MVP game after the Eagles beat St. Thomas More to win the Division II title. He visited Army last weekend.
Two other PBS players, running back Kayin White (University of Louisiana at Monroe) and offensive lineman Grant Kerstens (Army) are set to sign at 12:40 p.m. Wednesday in the school’s gym.
Scotlandville High is has scheduled the earliest signing ceremony — set for 8 a.m. SHS Athletic Director Latoshia Clay said at least 10 football players are expected to sign.
- Lineman Beau Morris of St. Michael (McNeese) has a 9 a.m. ceremony in the school’s library.
- Linebacker-defensive lineman Malcolm Roach (Texas) is one of five Madison Prep players planning to sign at 10 a.m. in the school’s gym. Linebacker Cedric Triplett (Jackson State), receiver Charrod Brumfield (Jackson State), defensive tackle Justin Wade (Langston University) and offensive lineman Thomas Sterling (Langston) are the others.
- Dutchtown High’s signing ceremony that will include lineman Lloyd Cushenberry (Mississippi State), defensive back Coney Durr (Minnesota), defensive back Rickey Thomas (Blinn Junior College) and running back Fitell Bolding (Northwestern State) is set for 12:30 p.m.
- Southern Lab’s ceremony set for 1 p.m. also is scheduled to include 11 football players and two athletes from other sports.
- A total of six football players, including LSU commitment Lindsey Scott, are scheduled to sign at 1:30 p.m. at Zachary High.
- Two Donaldsonville High players, lineman Tyarise Stevenson (Tulsa) and quarterback Tyler Brown (Southern) are set to sign at 1 p.m.
- Baton Rouge High girls soccer player Lindsy Scalzo (University of Texas-Dallas) has a 1:30 p.m. ceremony planned in the school Career Resource Room.