Classes 5A and 4A
1. Catholic (3-0): It’s hard to argue with the body of work so far. The Bears have moved up to No. 5 in the LSWA’s Class 5A poll and will they ever get their mettle tested this week when they host No. 1 Rummel.
2. Plaquemine (3-0): The Green Devils moved up to fifth in the 4A poll and proved they could come back from behind in win over Woodlawn. This week they’ll travel to Jennings to play the No. 3 team in 3A, providing yet another key test.
3. Dutchtown (1-2): A team with a losing record this high? After the Griffins’ performance against No. 2 Destrehan on the road in a loss last week, it’s hard to not give this team special consideration.
4. Zachary (2-1) and Scotlandville (2-1): Zachary has rolled past opponents from lower classes the last two weeks after a close loss to a top five team in Byrd; Scotlandville sandwiched a loss to East St. John between easy wins. We’ll see where both teams stand when they play each other this week.
6. Lutcher (3-0): The Bulldogs are back to their regular winning ways and moved up to No. 6 in Class 4A. A game with St. Amant this week will be intriguing for both teams.
7. East Ascension (2-1), St. Amant (2-1) and Woodlawn (2-1): All three 5A teams have done some good things and also suffered a loss. EAHS and Woodlawn both lost to Plaquemine and plays 4A No. 1 Warren Easton, the team St. Amant lost to. All these teams could be poised to move up.
10. St. Michael (3-0): The 4A Warriors have met every challenge so far. We’ll forgive the fact that only one of those opponents has a winning record for now.
Up next: Central (2-1), McKinley (2-1) and Denham Springs (1-2).
Classes 3A and below
1. University (3-0): Nobody can accuse the 3A Cubs of putting it on cruise control this year. They’ve had to battle by both Southern Lab and LaGrange and have played without QB Manny Miles for two weeks. They’ve battled and won.
2. Livonia (2-0): The 3A Wildcats have bounced both opponents they’ve faced so far and have 87 points in two ganes. Malcolm Dedrick has emerged as a star running back.
3. West Feliciana (3-0) and Parkview Baptist (2-1): WFHS is unbeaten with two road wins and Parkview has rebounded nicely since that Week 1 loss to Catholic. Both 3A teams should team with University to make District 7-3A interesting once again.
5. Episcopal (3-0) and Northeast (3-0): The Knights are unbeaten, moved up to seventh in the 2A poll and have an open date this week. It will be interesting to see how this team does against key opponents in 6-2A like Northeast.
7. Donaldsonville (2-1): This 3A team has lots of talent and potential. It will be interesting to watch them progress.
8. Madison Prep (2-1) and White Castle (2-1): Two very different 1A teams that have been impressive in different ways to date. MPA lost to 5A Woodlawn and WCHS lost to 3A Donaldsonville.
10. Ascension Catholic (3-0) and Springfield (3-0): ACHS and White Castle will look to challenge West St. John this season in 8-1A. Can they close the gap? We’ll see. Springfield takes on Northlake Christian this week to open 7-2A play.
Up next: Port Allen (2-1), East Feliciana (1-2), Southern Lab (0-3).