1. SCOTLANDVILLE 5-0: The Hornets may be one of the best-kept 5A secrets in Louisiana. Showdown with Zachary in District 4-5A opener looms this week.
2. ST. AMANT (5-0) AND ZACHARY (4-1): Both teams can score points with prolific offenses. Zachary meets Scotlandville this week. St. Amant hosts McKinley in 5-5A opener.
4. CATHOLIC (3-2): There was Bear-bashing after that 0-2 start, but Catholic has come on strong going into 5-5A play.
5. WALKER (5-0) AND DENHAM SPRINGS (4-1): Hard to separate this Livington Parish duo at this point. Walker beat its toughest opponent yet last week. DSHS remains steady.
7. LIVONIA (4-1): The Wildcats of District 6-4A have now won four straight and looked impressive in win over 3A power Amite.
8. DUTCHTOWN (3-2): Yes, the 5-5A Griffins lost last week, but they’ve got lots of talent and potential. This 5-5A race should be something.
9. PLAQUEMINE (2-3): This District 6-4A team is better than its record indicates and should start proving that.
10. EAST ASCENSION (2-3): Read No. 9, it also applies to EAHS of 5-5A
ON THE OUTSIDE LOOKING IN: Belaire (4-1), Central (3-2), Live Oak 93-2), Woodlawn 2-3.
Classes 3A and below
1. UNIVERSITY (4-1): There should be no question about this one. The loss of WR Tre Jackson didn’t slow the Cubs much last week.
2. PARKVIEW BAPTIST (3-2): District 6-3A rules with U-High and PBS. Eagles rebounded from losses to two ranked teams and are rolling now.
3. MADISON PREP (5-0) AND SOUTHERN LAB (4-1): Huge Week 6 challenges on the horizon — Madison Prep plays new 6-2A rival Northeast and second-ranked SLHS of 1A plays nationally-ranked IMG Academy.
5. NORTHEAST (4-1): Left for dead after a Week 1 loss to Walker, the Vikings are reminding us they were 2A semifinalists last year.
6. LUTCHER (4-1): The Bulldogs have scored more than 60 points in their first two 9-3A wins.
7. WEST FELICIANA (2-3): Forget the record. The Saints had injuries and other issues early in the year. Another talented 6-3A team and that was a semifinalist last year.
8. WHITE CASTLE (3-2): The 6-1A Bulldogs have scored 110 points the past three weeks.
9, EPISCOPAL (4-1) AND DUNHAM (4-1): Two good 6-2A teams. A Week 3 loss to Country Day was the wake-up call for Episcopal. Dunham is past loss to Northeast.
10. CHRISTIAN LIFE (3-2) AND ALBANY (4-1): Less the loss to Northeast, the 6-2A Crusaders have been impressive. Albany of 7-3A faces key tests ahead in 7-3A.
ON THE OUTSIDE LOOKING IN: Baker 3-2, Brusly 2-3, Port Allen 2-3.