Kenny Sears’ 4-yard touchdown pass to Matt Meyers on fourth down and goal with 7 seconds remaining gave the St. Paul’s Wolves a thrilling 26-25 victory over Karr in the season opener for both teams Friday in a non-district game at St. Paul’s.

The Wolves started their final possession at their own 31-yard line with 2:01 left in the game. The eight-play drive included a 34-yard pass to Timothy Bedford on third-and-5 and got the Wolves to the Cougars’ 9 with 1:20 to go.

“That’s a great win against a great opponent in Karr,” Wolves coach Ken Sears said. “Our kids battled all the way to the end.”

St. Paul’s led the whole game until Karr took a 25-20 lead with 2:01 remaining. And an 8-yard punt by the Wolves set up the Cougars on the St. Paul’s 25-yard line with 3:05 to go in the game. On third-and-goal at the 16, quarterback Aldon Clark scrambled for a 16 yard-touchdown run.

“If we do the little things correctly we are a heckuva a ball club” Karr coach Nathaniel Jones said. “But when we don’t, we are not. We started off slowly, and we have got to correct that.”

The game was delayed at the start for 35 minutes because of lightning in the area.

The Wolves’ Tre’Maine Chatman recovered a fumble at the Karr 25-yard line. Eight plays later, Mason Hebert scored on a 2-yard touchdown run. Austin Means added the extra point to give St. Paul’s a 7-0 lead with 6:40 left in the first quarter.

The Cougars were threatening to score and faced a third-and-goal at the Wolves’ 1. The snap went over Clark’s head, and Deonte’ Sorapuru scooped up the ball at the 21-yard line and raced for an apparent touchdown. But an illegal block in the back at the 15-yard line negated the score.

St. Paul’s still scored on the drive when Kenny Sears, son of head coach Ken Sears, threw a 14-yard scoring toss to Hebert. Means’ extra point made the score 14-0 with 5:59 to go in the first half.

Karr was forced to punt on their ensuing possession, but the Wolves fumbled the ball on their next offensive play. Tyrin Ferguson’s recovery set up the Cougars at the Wolves’ 30.

Three plays later, Fredrick Jordan caught a 21-yard touchdown pass from Clark. The extra point sailed wide left to leave the Cougars trailing 14-6.

The Wolves answered with a 28-yard field goal by Means to increase the lead to 17-6 with 1:33 remaining in the first half.

But that was too much time left on the clock for the fast-striking Cougars.

Five plays and 51 yards later, Karr scored on a Michael Conner 4-yard touchdown scamper. The two-point conversion was missed but the lead was down to 17-12 with 19 seconds to go in the first half.

St Paul’s started the second half with an onside kick that was recovered by Cade Cowen. That led to a 28-yard field goal by Mears to give the Wolves a 20-12 lead.