1. Catholic (1-0): The 5A Bears were extremely impressive with LSU commitment, RB Derrius Guice in their win over Parkview. There is plenty of room for growth and game at Mandeville is a huge test.
2. Scotlandville (1-0): Nice win over rival McKinley last week. There’s still much to learn about the 5A Hornets. We’ll find out more this week when they host East St. John.
3. Plaquemine (1-0): The 4A Green Devils were efficient in building a lead on East Ascension last week and face a rival in 3A Brusly this week.
4. Woodlawn (1-0): QB Charles Brooks ran for 97 yards and passed for 97 yards as the 5A Panthers shut out Denham Springs. Is that a sign of things to come? We’ll see.
5. Lutcher (1-0): Hello, 4A Bulldogs. After a un-Lutcher-like 2013, the Bulldogs have been impressive in their jamboree and first game against 5A teams.
(tie) Zachary (0-1): The 5A Broncos couldn’t quite pull off the upset of No. 4 Byrd, but show that their defense is indeed improved. That’s a key element moving forward.
7. St. Amant (0-1): No win, but the 5A Gators more than held their own with 4A No. 1 Warren Easton. The next step this week needs to be a win over Higgins.
8. Dutchtown (0-1): The 5A Griffins had turnover issues in their loss to Lutcher. Those miscues must be cleaned up. If not, 3A Donaldsonville may do it for Dutchtown this week.
9. Central (1-0): Which way will the 5A Wildcats go at QB with Gabe Brown and Ralph Moore fighting for the job? That choice may be crucial to the rest of Central’s season.
10. St. Michael (1-0): The 4A Warriors scored 30 points on a rebuilding 5A Walker squad. A stiffer test may come from 3A De La Salle this week.
Class 3A and below
1. University (1-0): OK, so it was a 36-35 win over 4A Teurlings and not a blowout. A win is a win and the 3A Cubs still have plenty of talent even if QB Manny Miles is sidelined.
2. Livonia (1-0): The 3A Wildcats have a new coach and several new starters, but it was much the same result for the team that advanced to the 3A title game last year.
3. West Feliciana (1-0): LSU commitment Jazz Ferguson is a top WR recruit, but he proved to be a good battering ram with 210 rushing yards last week for the 3A Saints.
4. Madison Prep (1-0): We knew this team would be better, but a 36-0 win over 4A Ellender on the road looks awfully good for a 1A team.
5. Southern Lab (1-0): The 1A Kittens have taken some lumps the last two weeks from bigger schools. The same formula helped SLHS go to semifinals last year.
6. Parkview Baptist (0-1): Yes, the Eagles took it on the chin from Catholic. Give the young lines time to mature and the chance to get back to 3A and things will be better.
7. Brusly (1-0): The 3A Panthers have been impressive so far and face a key test from 4A rival Plaquemine this week.
(tie) Port Allen (1-0): A road win at Avoyelles was a good start for the Pelicans, who face Redemptorist this week.
9. Episcopal (1-0): This team is going to be OK. Last week’s road win was a nice start to what should be another solid season for the 2A Knights.
10. Ascension Catholic (1-0) and White Castle (1-0): These two District 8-1A teams are talented and dangerous.