CENTRAL — Brett Courville threw five touchdown passes, leading Central High to a 56-27 District 4-5A clinching win over Live Oak Friday night.

Central (9-1, 5-0) led 35-20 at the half, and 56-20 after three quarters. Live Oak (5-5, 2-3) committed four turnovers, including three in the second half.

Courville completed 20-of-26 passes for 268 yards and five TDs with no interceptions. Jake Myer also led the Wildcats, catching three passes for 42 yards and two TDs, and rushing for 54 yards and another score.

“I’m so proud of these boys and the job they’ve done go 9-1,” said Central coach Sid Edwards. “That’s pretty impressive with the schedule we’ve had.”

Live Oak got as close as 20-12 in the second quarter, but could not keep pace with the Central offense. Quarterback Michael Claverie paced Live Oak’s passing attack with 134 yards, but was intercepted twice. Chris Kelly led the Eagles with 84 yards rushing.

Edwards also credited offensive coordinator David Simoneaux as Central ran its offense to near perfection. It was a sentiment shared by Live Oak coach Tut Musemeche.

“They’re district champs for a reason,” Musemeche said. “They’re a great team that played great. When you play a talented team that’s well-coached at every position its tough to take things away.

“They had an answer for a lot of the things we did tonight.”

In the first half, Central took a quick 14-0 lead, and then answered each one of Live Oak’s three first-half scores.

Live Oak’s Wesley Howard capped a 51-yard drive with a 5-yard TD run. The extra point try was blocked, and Central led 14-6 with 1:38 left in the first quarter.

Following the kickoff, Central needed just two plays to get the score back. Gary Triplett’s 52-yard touchdown run around right end was highlighted by a spin-move at the LOHS 40.

Live Oak converted two fourth downs as it moved 71 yards in 10 plays for its second touchdown. Claverie’s 16-yard run set up set up Howard’s 1-yard score to finish the series.

A facemask penalty helped Central move into scoring position midway through the second. Courville’s 25-yard strike to Myer pushed the Wildcats lead to 28-12, but Live Oak came back.

The Eagles drove 67 yards for their third score, but were nearly stopped on downs. Facing fourth-and-21 at the CHS 28, Claverie connected with Jarrett Williams in the right corner of the end zone for the score.

With 1:27 left in the half, Central had just enough time for one more scoring drive. The Wildcats went 68 yards in the half’s closing seconds as Courville found Triplett for a 24-yard score.

The start of the game was delayed 25 minutes while paramedics worked on a fan who collapsed in the stands.