After a narrow loss last Friday to a District 6-5A team, Jesuit made quick work of another 6-5A team Friday against St. Paul’s.

Jesuit, which lost by a field goal last week to Ponchatoula, was dominant this week in a nondistrict game at St. Paul’s. When the final buzzer sounded Friday, the Blue Jays were headed back to New Orleans with a 49-22 victory.

The win also avenged a Jesuit loss last season to St. Paul’s — another three-point defeat.

The Blue Jays (1-1) did almost everything right Friday. Trey LaFarge threw for three touchdowns, completing 17 of 25 passes for 240 yards. Chris Mills ran for 106 yards and a touchdown on 10 carries, and Charles Jackson was right behind with 94 yards on eight carries and a score. Kalija Lipscomb caught six passes for 121 yards and two touchdowns.

“It was about time we cleaned up our mistakes and started off kind of fast,” Jesuit coach Mark Songy said. “The last couple weeks, I wasn’t pleased with us not taking advantage of opportunities. We did tonight.”

Jesuit came out strongly, with a four-play scoring drive to begin the game. The touchdown was set up by a 48-yard kickoff return by Jakirai Wiley to give the Blue Jays the ball at the St. Paul’s 49. Malachi Hull ran for 17 yards to push Jesuit closer to the goal, and LaForge connected with Foster Moreau on a 12-yard scoring pass. Crew Jacobs kicked the PAT with 10:29 to go in the opening quarter and Jesuit led 7-0.

St. Paul’s (1-1) drove back down the field and reached the Jesuit 30-yard line before momentum stalled. Austin Means kicked a 47-yard field goal with 5:30 to go in the quarter, to close the score to 7-3.

The Wolves looked like they would score again after driving to the 3-yard line midway through the second quarter, but a fourth-and-goal rush by quarterback Ryan O’Krepki finished short of the goal line, and Jesuit took over at its own 1. The Blue Jays wasted little time in answering — driving 99 yards and capping a drive with a 26-yard rush around right end by Jackson.

St. Paul’s went nowhere on its next possession, and Wiley made them pay again — this time juking his way up the right sideline for a 63-yard punt return for a score. Jacobs’ third PAT of the half made the score 21-3, and the rout was on.

The Blue Jays tacked on another score with 14 seconds left in the half when, after recovering a fumble, they drove to the Wolves 11. From there, LaForge lobbed a scoring throw to Lipscomb in the far left corner of the end zone.

Jesuit outgained St. Paul’s 256-149 in the decisive first half. Lipscomb grabbed four balls for 79 yards, and LaForge finished 8-of-14 for 139 yards and two touchdowns in the half. Mills rushed six times for 73 yards in the half.

Dominic Davenport caught eight balls for 65 yards in the half to lead St. Paul’s.

St. Paul’s showed some life in the third quarter when O’Krepki connected with Jalen McCleskey on a 22-yard touchdown pass. The PAT made the score 35-10. The Wolves then recovered an onsides kick and took possession at the Jesuit 30, but a 46-yard field goal try fell short.

The Blue Jays answered with a 35-yard touchdown pass from LaForge to Lipscomb, with the receiver dragging four defenders into the end zone with him for the score.

LaForge said Jesuit talked this week about last year’s loss to St. Paul’s, as well as last week’s loss to Ponchatoula.

“We had a quality week of preperation,” he said. “We came out and took care of business.”

St. Paul’s coach Ken Sears said his team took a step forward with a win last week against Karr but took “two steps back” Friday.

“They ‘out-physicaled’ us on the line on scrimmage, and we could never really get anything going,” Sears said. “They’ re just a better football team than us right now.”