1. Catholic (5-1) and Zachary (5-1): Both teams made statements last week with convincing wins and now both are ranked in the LSWA’s Class 5A top 10.
3. East Ascension (4-2): The Spartans have won four straight and steadily moved up in the ranks.
4. St. Michael (6-0): The Warriors of District 6-4A are the area’s lone remaining unbeaten in 5A-4A. There are more challenges to come, but so far, so good.
5. Plaquemine (5-1): Don’t let last week’s loss to Zachary fool you. The Green Devils are still an elite team and 4A force.
6. Denham Springs (4-2) and Scotlandville (4-2): The Yellow Jackets ousted rival Central last week and like Zachary are unbeaten in 4-5A. Scotlandville has one 4-5A loss and the two teams play each other this week.
8. Dutchtown (3-3): The Griffins notched a key win over Woodlawn last week to open 5-5A play.
9. McKinley (4-2), Woodlawn (4-2), St. Amant (3-3): These three 5-5A teams lost last week but will have plenty to say about who wins the league.
Classes 3A and below
1. University (6-0): Is there any doubt about this one after last week’s District 7-3A win over Parkview?
2. Livonia (5-0): The Wildcats of 5-3A are rolling along at perhaps a lower profile than some of the other 3A teams but are very impressive.
3. Parkview Baptist (4-2): The Eagles lost to U-High last week, but they’ll be fine.
4. Port Allen (5-1) and West Feliciana (5-1): PAHS has a win over WFHS in 7-3A. They’re the reason why 7-3A is one of the deepest districts in Class 3A.
6. Northeast (6-0): The Vikings had an open date last week and begin their series of 6-2A challenges this week.
7. White Castle (5-1), Madison Prep (5-1) and East Feliciana (4-2): The 8-1A Bulldogs have been nothing short of impressive. Madison Prep faces huge 6-1A challenge with Southern Lab this week. A tough early-season schedule has put EFHS on track for 6-2A success.
10. Episcopal (4-1) and Donaldsonville (3-3): It will be interesting to see how 2A EHS rebounds for its loss. DHS is still is very dangerous 3A team.