Records through Friday’s games
1. Scotlandville (18-4): The Hornets opened 4-5A play with two wins and face a possible showdown with Denham Springs Friday.
2. McKinley (12-7): A loss to 4A power Landry-Walker last week is part of a challenging schedule for the Panthers of 5-5A.
3. St. Michael (18-3) and Plaquemine (14-4): The 6-4A rivals will meet soon enough, but both teams look to build on their résumés until then.
5. Denham Springs (16-4): DSHS is off its best start in recent years and is 2-0 in 4-5A.
6. Catholic (13-4): The 5-5A Bears were on a roll before a loss to Brother Martin but should rebound nicely.
7. Lutcher (14-2): One of the most improved 4A teams should make 6-4A interesting.
8. Broadmoor (11-7): The Bucs also are much improved and could be a 4-5A spoiler.
9. Zachary (10-8): Another piece in what may be a complicated 4-5A puzzle.
10. Belaire (12-9) and St. Amant (11-8): Two more much improved teams looking to prove their worth — BHS in 6-4A and SAHS in 5-5A.
Classes 4A and below
1. Madison Prep (18-1) and University (15-2): The 1A Chargers and 3A Cubs are arguably BR’s best in any class. It will be interesting when they meet Jan. 24.
3. Port Allen (14-3): The Pelicans figure to be the top challenger for U-High in 7-3A.
4. Episcopal (14-2): The Knights have emerged as the frontrunner in 6-2A.
5. Southern Lab (14-4): SLHS has its group together post-football and figures to be Madison Prep’s challenger.
6. Brusly (13-5): Also part of the 7-3A picture and hosts Port Allen Tuesday.
7. Dunham (10-8): The Tigers face a big 6-2A week that includes meeting Episcopal.
8. Donaldsonville (13-6): District 9-3A Tigers are high-scoring and intriguing.
9. Doyle (14-5) and Albany (12-6): Doyle is setting early pace in 7-2A, while Albany warrants watching in 8-3A.
1. Scotlandville (13-5): The Hornets may be an unorthodox pick, but they’re 4-0 in 4-5A.
2. Walker (18-4) and Broadmoor (17-5): Two more teams in the entertaining 4-5A race.
4. St. Michael (13-9): The 6-4A Warriors appear well-prepared for league play.
5. Zachary (14-9): Another solid 4-5A team to keep an eye on.
6. Dutchtown (11-10) and St. Amant (11-10): Both teams are expected to be part of a tight District 5-5A race.
8. Belaire (9-8): The Bengals figure to again be the top 6-4A challenger for St. Michael.
9. Denham Springs (9-12): The rebuilding Yellow Jackets could be 4-5A spoiler.
10. Plaquemine (10-12): Look for the Green Devils to also be solid in District 6-4A.
Classes 3A and below
1. Albany (16-4): Given U-High’s loss to Brusly last week, the Hornets of 9-3A are a solid choice for top spot.
2. University (16-2) and Parkview Baptist (15-5): The teams square off on Tuesday in an interesting matchup after PBS’ win over Brusly in 7-3A.
4. Redemptorist (16-5): The Wolves are the lone unbeaten in 6-2A despite several injuries.
5. Brusly (13-7): The Panthers have beaten U-High in 7-3A but lost to Parkview.
6. Madison Prep (17-7): Don’t count Saturday’s 17-point loss to 3A power Ville Platte against the 1A Chargers.
7. Episcopal (14-5) and East Feliciana (9-6): The other components in the 6-2A race meet Monday night.
9. Southern Lab (9-8) and Ascension Catholic (11-7): Two battle-tested 1A teams also warrant watching.