Rummel didn’t get a third chance Tuesday night to upset St. Augustine.

Dwight Harris and Ashken Stamm missed consecutive 3-pointers during the final seconds for the Raiders. St. Augustine then clinched a 41-38 road victory, when Charles Brown grabbed the rebound off the second shot attempt and after being fouled, converted one of two three throws.

“We just had to push through, keep defending and rebounding,” Brown said. “Play hard, play through adversity.”

Brown led the Purple Knights with 14 points. Kelvin Jackson Jr. added nine points for St. Aug, which improved to 20-5 and 5-1 in the Catholic Leage.

St. Augustine was recovering from Friday night’s 33-30 home loss to Jesuit, which ended their District 9-5A win streak at 13 games. The Purple Knights also played Tuesday without sophomore Jordan Sneed, who started this season at point guard. Coach Maurice Johnson declined further comment about Sneed.

Rummel dropped to 18-8 and 3-3 in 9-5A.

St. Augustine took control with a dominant third quarter, outscoring Rummel 14-6. Guard Devante Jones proved troublesome for Rummel, jump starting the run by collecting an offensive rebound and scoring on a three-point play with 3:36 left in the third.

After Rummel’s Trey LeBlanc scored on a layup, Jones found Brown in the post, the first of three consecutive assists for him. The quarter ended with Brown scoring on layup.

“We didn’t come out with enough intensity, but in the end, we made some big free throws and got the win,” Jones said. “(Brown) is a big target. When I see his chest, I just throw it to him.”

St. Augustine scored the final seven points of the third.

“That was the difference in the game,” Rummel coach Troy Holley said. “They made a bunch of plays. That was the one stretch in the game where we turned the ball over in kind of bunches, took some shots we probably shouldn’t have taken.

“It says a lot about our kids that we did come back and really give ourselves a chance. It also says a lot about them that they were able to hang on.”

Kristian Fulton, who often challenged St. Augustine’s front court at the rim, finished with a team-high 11 points. Caleb Burks added nine.

Trailing 36-30 in the fourth, Burks converted a long 3-pointer, the start of Rummel’s fourth-quarter surge. It ended, though, with Harris’ two three throws for Rummel with 14.8 seconds left that tied the game. On St. Augustine’s inbounds, Caleb Daniels was fouled immediately, and he made one of two free throws. But Harris and Stamm were unable to score.

“We’ve got to keep bringing energy,” St. Augustine coach Mitchell Johnson said. “And keep making plays.”