1. Catholic (4-1): The 5A Bears face a key test with St. Amant this week as a tough 5-5A stretch begins.
2. Zachary (4-1) and Plaquemine (5-0): Class 4A PHS got pushed to the limit by 1A Southern Lab last week, making the Week 6 game between these two very intriguing. Zachary has been solid while winning four straight.
4. Woodlawn (4-1): The only thing that keeps the 5A Panthers from being ranked higher is a loss to Plaquemine. That could change quickly.
5. St. Michael (5-0): Some may question the strength of schedule but Warriors have met every challenge and that counts going into 6-4A opener with Lutcher.
6. East Ascension (3-2): Spartans were impressive in beating Lutcher.
7. St. Amant (3-2): If the Gators can stop hurting themselves with turnovers they can be lethal to opponents.
8. McKinley (3-2) and Denham Springs (3-2): The Panthers turned some heads by playing 4A power Landry-Walker tough last week. DSHS of 4-5A has two league wins under its belt.
10. Scotlandville (3-2) and Dutchtown (2-3): Scotlandville is a young team but is a tough match-up for just about everybody. Two of DHS’ losses were to the top two teams in 5A.
Classes 3A and below
1. University (5-0): Different make up than last year but comparable results for UHS.
2. Livonia (4-0): Coaching change and graduation losses haven’t slowed the Wildcats.
3. Parkview Baptist (4-1): Eagles have won four straight since Week 1 loss to 5A Catholic and face U-High for a key showdown this week.
4. West Feliciana (4-1): The Saints regrouped in a big way last week against Kentwood after dropping 7-3A opener to Port Allen the week before.
5. Episcopal (4-0) and White Castle (4-1): The Knights shut out 1A Ascension Catholic and now face East Feliciana in key 6-2A game. White Castle has a top 10 ranking in 1A.
7. Northeast (5-0), Madison Prep (4-1) and East Feliciana (3-2): Class 2A Northeast has met all challenges to date., while 1A MPA has four shutouts. 2A EFHS meets Episcopal for 6-2A showdown this week.
10. Southern Lab (1-4): This team has loads of talent and has endured injuries and a tough schedule. Could be one of the best before season ends.