Kenny Sears connected with T.J. Bedford for three touchdowns as the St. Paul’s Wolves defeated the Denham Springs Yellow Jackets 27-7 in a nondistrict game at St. Paul’s.

The Wolves (2-1) defense held the Yellow Jackets to 191 yards of total offense.

“The defense played very well tonight,” St. Paul’s coach Ken Sears. “After the tough loss last week, they came to play.”

The Wolves defense set up the offense when Brandon Barreiro intercepted a pass and returned it to the Yellow Jackets 24 yard line with 10:38 left in the first quarter. Sears gave the ball right back to Denham Springs when he fumbled on the next play and it was recovered by Jarques Jones.

The Wolves grabbed a 7-0 lead on a 10-play, 67-yard drive. Sears hit T.J. Bedford with a 5-yard touchdown pass. Austin Means added the extra point with 23 seconds to go in the first quarter.

Sears left the game with 4:51 remaining in the first half with a right leg injury.

The teams traded punts thoughout the second quarter. With 21 seconds remaining in the first half, Barreiro blocked a punt from Cade Murry and the Wolves recovered at the Yellow Jackets’ 15-yard line. Backup quarterback Johntae McDowell connected with Grant Gallaspy on a 15-yard touchdown pass. Means converted the extra point to make the score 14-0 with just 16 seconds to go in the first half.

“That blocked punt at the end of the first half really turned the momentum” Denham Springs coach Dru Nettles said.

Neither team got much offense going in the first half. St. Paul’s outgained Denham Springs 120-87.

Tyre Golmond paced the Yellow Jackets with 91 yards rushing on 19 carries. The rest of the team accounted for minus-4 yards in the first half.

Corey Williamson led the Wolves with 65 yards rushing on nine carries. Sears and McDowell combined to complete 6 of 9 passes to six different receivers.

On the second offensive series of the second half, Sears returned.

Bedford caught his second scoring toss from 30 yards out. Means’ extra point increased the lead to 21-0 with 3:35 to go in the third quarter.

The Wolves’ final score came on Bedford’s third touchdown reception, again from 5 yards out to make the score 27-0.

“Kenny and I are good friends off the field and we spend a lot of time together,” Bedford said. “This year we have a great defense and that helps set up our offense.”

Golmond got Denham Springs its lone score of the night on a 55-yard touchdown burst with 3:20 to go in the game.

Golmond finished the game with 168 yards rushing on 24 carries.

Cameron Feucht started in place of Torez Kinchen and completed 7 of 14 passes for just 4 yards. Kinchen did not play because of unspecified reasons.

“Offensively it was a tough night,” Nettles said. “When you play against a solid defensive team like St. Paul’s, you can’t make the mistakes we made. It was his (Feucht’s) first varsity start and I am proud of him.”

St. Paul’s gained 306 yards for the game with 180 of those on the ground. Williamson led the Wolves with 121 yards rushing on 18 carries. Sears completed 12 of 16 passes for 101 yards and three touchdowns.