St. Paul’s came into Saturday’s baseball game against Riverside Academy with hopes winning their third game of the season. To do that, coach Mick Nunez said his team would have to be focused.

“We faced a really good team out there today,” Nunez said of Riverside. “I gave them a heads up about (Riverside) starting fast, but we didn’t respond well initially. We have to do a better job of focusing on the task at hand and doing our jobs.”

The Wolves (2-2) fell behind 10-1 in the third inning and were never able to recover in a 13-8 loss.

The Rebels grabbed 2-0 lead in the first inning as Tyler Gawthier scored on a Evan Veron hit, and Brandon Hymel later came around to make it 3-0.

St. Paul’s answered with one in the bottom of the first, but couldn’t add more after having the loaded bases.

“We did some really good hitting out there (Saturday), but just not when it counted,” Nunez said. “We got deep in an hole early, but I was proud of my kids for not quitting. Most teams would have laid down there, but we didn’t.”

Riverside struck again in the top of the third. Hymel slammed a ball deep into left field that scored three runs. He would scored one run later to extend the score 5-1.

St. Paul made a pitching change following the four-run swing, inserting sophomore Matt Meyers.

Unfortunately for St. Paul, the bleeding didn’t subside until five more runs were added.

St. Paul’s Peyton Lacoste hit a ground ball down the line that scored two runs to cut the lead for 10-3.

The Wolves added two more runs to end the inning 10-5.

“We needed to stay on top of their hitters early in the count,” Riverside coach Frank Cazzo said. “We made some really good defensive stops that halted their runs later in the game. I was worried that we would become relax because of the lead, but the team showed resolve. That’s all you can ask for.”

Riverside never trailed in the contest and led by as many eight. The Rebels were the beneficiary of an interference call that ultimately scored two runs in taking a 12-5 lead in the fourth.

Vicknair provided no shortage of highlights for the Rebels. His home run at the top of the fifth put Riverside up 13-5.

St. Paul’s scored three in the seventh to account for the final score.