1. Catholic High (6-1): It was close, but the fifth-ranked Bears are the only unbeaten 5-5A team after edging Dutchtown last week.
2. Zachary (6-1): The Broncos of 5-5A also had a close call, but snuck past Central by a single point.
3. St. Michael the Archangel (7-0): Critics can question the 4A Warriors’ strength of schedule, but SMHS is the lone unbeaten in 5A-4A.
4. Plaquemine (6-1): The 4A Green Devils rebounded nicely from a Week 6 loss to Zachary and face Lutcher in a key 6-4A game this week.
5. Woodlawn (5-2): The Panthers won their first 5-5A game in dramatic fashion and have been solid.
6. Denham Springs (5-2): The Yellow Jackets have improved steadily all year, and like Zachary, are unbeaten in 4-5A.
7. McKinley (4-3): The Panthers’ wait for a key 5-5A win ended with triumph at St. Amant.
8. Dutchtown (3-4), East Ascension (4-3) and St. Amant (3-4): These teams are better than their records indicate and figure to move up again in the near future.
Classes 3A and below
1. University (7-0): The Cubs are ranked No. 1 in Class 3A for a reason, they’re awfully good.
2. Livonia (6-0): This team is cruising along toward a Week 10 showdown with Church Point.
3. Parkview Baptist (5-2): The Eagles have performed well and face an interesting challenge this week with Port Allen.
4. Northeast (6-0): Much like St. Michael, one knock on this team is its strength of schedule. Major matchup with Episcopal looms this week.
5. East Feliciana (4-2) and Port Allen (5-2): EFHS has a half-game lead on Northeast in 6-2A. PAHS has lost to two ranked 3A teams and faces a third this week.
7. West Feliciana (6-1): Saints are lurking in the shadows since loss to Port Allen and should be on a mission.
8. Southern Lab (2-5): The Kittens are finally getting healthy, and that brutal schedule is starting to pay dividends.
9. White Castle (6-1): The Bulldogs of 8-1A have a top 10 ranking after avoiding an upset bid last week.
10. Episcopal (4-2): The Knights have dropped two straight but could rebound in a big way against Northeast this week.