Below are The Advocate's Top 10 prep football teams for the Baton Rouge area.
FOLLOW THIS LINK to the the Louisiana Sportswriters Association statewide rankings for each classification.
1. ZACHARY (3-0): The District 5-5A Broncos may have come back to the pack just a bit.
2. SCOTLANDVILLE (3-0): The Hornets, also of 5-5A have moved even closer to rival Zachary. Their showdown is a few weeks away now.
3. ST. AMANT (3-0): Nice win last week over Lutcher and that means more is expected from the 5-5A Gators.
4. DUTCHTOWN (2-1), EAST ASCENSION (1-2), CATHOLIC (1-2) AND PLAQUEMINE (1-2): Put them in a hat, shake them up and see what happens. Each have shown bright spots and areas of concern. It will be interesting to see how they all evolve in the weeks ahead.
8. LIVONIA (2-1) AND CENTRAL (2-1): Livonia is in its first year in 4A and seen some growing pains. The win last week over Port Allen could signal a move up. Central of 5A has done what was needed so far.
9. BELAIRE (3-0) AND WALKER (3-0): Wins are nice, but questions about strength of schedule abound. In other words, both need a signature win.
Classes 3A and below
1. UNIVERSITY (2-1): A win over 5A Mandeville on the road solidifies the hold the 3A Cubs have on the top spot.
2. PARKVIEW BAPTIST (1-2): Yes, the Eagles have lost two straight, but like 6-3A rival U-High, remain at the top of this group.
3. MADISON PREP (3-0) AND SOUTHERN LAB (2-1): Madison Prep is the area’s breakout team in its first year in 2A with wins over 4A Livonia and 5A East St. John. Southern Lab regrouped with a big road win at West St. John last week.
5. LUTCHER (2-1): Loss to 5A St. Amant doesn’t tarnish the potential for Bulldogs of 9-3A.
6. DUNHAM (3-0) AND EAST FELICIANA (2-1): Two other top teams in 6-2A. East Feliciana’s lone loss was to 5A Ruston.
8. BRUSLY (2-1), NORTHEAST (2-1) AND WEST FELICIANA (1-2): Brusly of 6-3A saw its winning streak end but was solid. Northeast of 6-2A has won two straight and 6-3A West Feliciana looks to be back on the straight path after some early issues.