Nick Brossette scored three touchdowns and quarterback Kyle Crifasi tossed two TD passes as sixth-seeded University High rolled past Ferriday Friday night 46-12 in the first round of the 2A state playoffs at Gill Stadium-Boss Field.

U-High coach Chad Mahaffey complimented the Cub defense, which held Ferriday to just one offensive score late in the fourth quarter.

“The defense was real good,” Mahaffey said. “We were able to keep them inconsistent. And we were able to come out real strong in the second half.”

Brossette led the University offense, rushing for 124 yards on 13 carries with one score, as well as three receptions for 83 yards for two scores.

University (11-0) hosts 11th-seeded Riverside Academy (8-3) next week.

“They were blitzing real heavy,” Mahaffey said. “We just did a good job on the execution. I’m pleased with the consistency.”

Ferriday (5-6) was led by quarterback Richard Jefferson, who went 14-for-17 for 126 yards and one touchdown.

“We’re just going to continue to do what we do,” Mahaffey said. “These guys are real consistent. Hopefully, we’ll get another good week out of them.”

The Cubs got on the board first, needing just four plays to drive 59 yards, capped by a 16-yard run by Brossette to give University the early 6-0 lead.

Two possessions later, a UHS drive stalled after a botched snap over Crifasi’s head was picked up by Ferriday’s Kelly Anderson, as Anderson dashed 40 yards into the end zone to knot the score 6-6 with 6:31 to play in the first quarter.

University struck back on the ensuing possession, driving 65 yards on seven plays, ending with a corner fade from Crifasi to Hunter Smithburg as the Cubs took a 13-6 lead.

Following a four-and-out by the Trojans, including getting stopped on a fourth-and-one at their own 39-yard line, the Cubs put up another score when quarterback Nik Kragthorphe found Brossette on a 38-yard screen pass for the score.

University led 20-6 as the first quarter came to an end.

On Ferriday’s following possession, a fumble by Jefferson set up the Cubs at their own 45-yard line. Four plays later, Brossette found the end zone for the third time in the first half, taking a screen pass 37 yards for the score and giving the Cubs a 27-6 lead at the 10:23 mark of the second quarter.

Going into the half, Mahaffey said the team needed to maintain in order to finish off the Trojans.

“We knew they weren’t going to quit,” Mahaffey said. “It’s the playoffs. We needed to maintain that intensity.”

Two plays into the second half, a botched option pitch by Jefferson was fumbled by Brooks and picked up by University’s Hayes Stewart, who found his way into the end zone as the Cubs took a 34-6 at the 10:50 mark of the third quarter.

Following another three-and- out by Ferriday, University struck again, this time by Jarrod Franklin on a 16-yard end around for the score.

The Cubs led 40-6 at the 5:47 mark of the third quarter.

On their next possession, University’s Jake Wharton led the way, putting together a 13-play, 62-yard drive capped by a Wharton 1-yard TD run.

as the Cubs led he way 46-6.

The Trojans got their first offensive score of the game in the fourth quarter when Jefferson found Brooks on a 32-yard screen pass, cutting the Cubs lead to 46-12 with just under five minutes left in the game.