1. Scotlandville (4-0): The 4-5A Hornets of first-year coach Robert Valdez have come a long way in a short period of time. They’ll face their toughest test this week at Ouachita.
2. St. Amant (4-0): It hasn’t taken long for the Gators of 5-5A and their large senior class to turn any doubters into believers.
3. Zachary (3-1): The Broncos took a tumble in the polls after losing to Calvary Baptist last week. But a loss may just be a plus for ZHS of 4-5A.
4. Dutchtown (3-1) and Catholic (2-2): Neither team got the start they wanted.
6. Walker (4-0) and Denham Springs (3-1): A quantum leap for a Walker program that was 0-10 last year includes opponents with a 4-12 record. Outscoring opponents 232-23 means the Wildcats of 4-5A can’t be ignored. Denham Springs' lone loss was on the road to St. Paul’s.
8. Livonia (3-1): Early injuries slowed the Wildcats of 6-4A early in the season but they’re playing their best going into a showdown with Amite on Thursday.
9. McKinley (2-2) and Live Oak (2-2): Both teams seem to be getting better each week. We’ll learn more about LOHS of 4-5A and MHS of 5-5A as the season progresses.
On the outside looking in: Belaire (3-1), Plaquemine (1-3).
Classes 3A and below
1. University (3-1): The 6-3A Cubs aren’t unbeatable and may not be quite as untouchable as past year. They’re still the leader of this pack.
2. Madison Prep (4-0): Yes, the 6-2A Chargers lost to Southern Lab last year, but wins over a 2014 state champion Livonia and 5A East St. John are hard to top.
3. Southern Lab (3-1): The Kittens of 6-1A have rebounded nicely from loss to U-High and are loaded with talent.
4. Parkview Baptist (2-2): The 6-3A Eagles played one of the toughest predistrict schedules around and that should serve them well now.
5. Lutcher (3-1): A big win to start District 9-3A play puts the Bulldogs on a collision course with De La Salle and rival St. James.
6. Northeast (3-1): The Vikings learned quickly from loss to 5A Walker and notched big win over Dunham last week to open 6-2A play.
7. Episcopal (3-1), Dunham (3-1), East Feliciana (2-2): These three 6-2A teams are all title contenders. East Feliciana vs. Madison Prep is a key game this week.
10. White Castle (2-2) and West Feliciana (1-3): The 6-1A Bulldogs beat 4A Belaire last week and 3A Donaldsonville. WFHS is the definition of a team that is better than its record indicates.
On the outside looking in: Brusly (2-2), Donaldsonville (1-3), Port Allen (2-2).