After a thrilling 32 minutes of action, Mandeville took over in overtime.

The No. 15-seeded Skippers defeated No. 18 Jesuit 61-46 in a Class 5A bidistrict game Friday night at Mandeville High School.

The game was tied 39-39 after 32 minutes of regulation, the Skippers outscored the Blue Jays 22-7 in the extra period.

Mandeville (23-9) was led by Torico Jones, who finished the with 22 points. Senior guard Hunter Dugas had 17 in the win.

Jesuit, which finished its season 14-8, was led by Trey LaForge with 22 points. Rob Weiss was the only other double-digits scorer for the Blue Jays with 10 points.

The Skippers advance to the regional round and will travel to take on second-seeded Helen Cox.

Down 39-36 after a free throw by Foster Moreau, Jones banked in a 3-pointer in the corner with 5.4 seconds left to send the game into overtime.

“I was wide open, so I was thinking about shooting the ball,” Jones said. “But my defender closed out really quick. Then I thought about taking a pump fake and trying to draw a foul. Unfortunately, I didn’t get the foul, but the shot went in.”

The overtime period belong completely to the Skippers. Mandeville opened with an 8-2 run and after a 3-pointer by Dugas led 47-41.

“We carried over the momentum from the end of regulation,” Jones said. “It was that, and we played with a whole lot of energy.

“It showed with us hustling for loose balls and getting them and making key shots when they needed to be made.”

Trailing 17-15 coming out of the halftime locker room, Jesuit opened the third quarter on a 7-0 run to take a 22-1 lead on a bucket by Moreau.

Mandeville got as close as 26-23 with 2:07 left in the third quarter, but Moreau would hit a pair of free throws to put the Blue Jays back up 28-23.

The story of the third quarter was LaForge. The senior forward scored 12 points in the quarter and outscored Mandeville himself 12-9 in the quarter.

A battle between two solid defensive teams, LaForge scored six of the Blue Jays seven points in the first quarter to give the Blue Jays a 7-6 lead after one quarter.

“I think it was nerves by both teams early on,” Jones said. “I mean Jesuit is a really good team, and we knew whoever lost this game would go home and their season would be over. That is a lot of pressure. It took us a little while to get going and get our feet under us. But once we did we were able to come away victorious. It is a great feeling.”

The offensive output increased some in the second quarter. Down 13-11 with 5:02 to go in the second quarter, a 6-0 run by Mandeville gave the Skippers a 17-13 lead before Chris Beebe hit two of three free throws to end the half with Mandeville hanging onto a 17-15 lead.

The game was a rematch of an early-season matchup, Jesuit won 43-39.