1. Catholic (2-0): Beating a solid 3A team like Parkview Baptist in Week 1 was impressive, but shutting out 5A Mandeville 48-0 in Week 2 made a huge statement, considering that Mandeville lost 14-0 to John Curtis in Week 1.
2. Plaquemine (2-0): The 4A Green Devils have lived by big plays in their first two games. Whether or not that leads to long term success remains to be seen.
3. Dutchtown (1-1): The 5A Griffins bounced back from a tough Week 1 loss to roll by 3A Donaldsonville. Now comes the real test — at No. 2 Destrehan.
4. Lutcher (2-0): The 4A Bulldogs are unbeaten, surviving a Week 2 shootout with McDonogh 35.
5. Central (2-0), Scotlandville (1-1) and Zachary (1-1): Why rank these three District 4-5A teams together? Because we’re still not sure just how good they all are. Zachary played a ranked team (C.E. Byrd) the closest). Central has dined on two weak opponents but travels to Jesuit this week. Scotlandville and Zachary face teams they should handle. More to come on these three.
8. St. Amant (1-1): The Gators rebounded with a shut out of Higgins after losing to Warren Easton.
9. East Ascension (1-1): The 5A Spartans grabbed a solid win over Patterson after a Week 1 loss to Plaquemine.
10. St. Michael (2-0): The Warriors are 2-0 but how they’ll fare against tougher opponents remains to be seen.
Class 3A and below
1. University (2-0): The Cubs had to battle past 1A Southern Lab last week and have been hit with the injury bug, which could make the weeks ahead quite interesting.
2. Livonia (1-0): The 3A Wildcats didn’t play last week but have jumped into the 3A Top 10. which makes this week’s game Port Allen interesting.
3. Southern Lab (0-2): The 1A Kittens are 0-2 but have lost to the No. 3 team in Class 3A and No. 2 team in 3A.
4. Parkview Baptist (1-1): The Eagles rebounded nicely from a big Week 1 loss to 5A Catholic to bounce another 5A team in Broadmoor.
5. Port Allen (2-0) and Episcopal (2-0): Both 3A PAHS and 2A Episcopal are unbeaten but face key challenges this week. Port Allen travels to Livonia and Episcopal hosts a ranked team in 1A Country Day.
7. Donaldsonville (1-1), Ascension Catholic (2-0) and White Castle (2-0): Class 3A Donaldsonville lost big last week but has loads of talent. District 8-1A rivals ACHS and White Castle are unbeaten and have been impressive so far.
10. Northeast (2-0): The 2A Vikings have beaten 5A Broadmoor and 3A Baker by slim margins. This team can be in the thick of the 6-2A race.