1. Catholic (8-1): The Bears have clinched the 5-5A title, and their only loss was to No. 1 Rummel.
2. Zachary (8-1): The Broncos moved a step closer to their first outright 5A district title in 4-5A.
3. Plaquemine (8-1): All the Green Devils need to do is win this week to wrap up an outright 6-4A title.
4. St. Michael (8-1): The Warriors didn’t beat Plaquemine last week but did answer questions about their mettle.
5. Denham Springs (5-4) and St. Amant (5-4): DSHS pushed Zachary to the wire last week in 4-5A and St. Amant had an impressive 5-5A win.
7. East Ascension (5-4) and Dutchtown (4-5): East Ascension lost to St. Amant last week in a rivalry game but is plenty dangerous. Dutchdown gutted out a must-win game over McKinley and faces St. Amant this week in another key 5-5A game.
9. Scotlandville (6-3) and Woodlawn (5-4): Since losing to Denham Springs, the Hornets have quietly taken care of business with two more wins. Despite two recent losses, Woodlawn remains dangerous.
Classes 3A and below
1. University (9-0): Another week and another big win for the top-ranked 3A team. Anyone who thinks consistency is boring hasn’t seen the Cubs.
2. Livonia (8-0): The Wildcats have met all challenges going into Thursday’s District 5-3A showdown with 9-0 Church Point.
3. Parkview Baptist (6-2): The Eagles had an open date and should be ready to go at West Feliciana on Thursday.
4. West Feliciana (7-2): Parkview has long been a nemesis for the Saints. Can the Saints prevail this year? We’ll know soon.
5. Southern Lab (4-5): Now that the District 6-1A Kittens are past their killer nondistrict schedule and healthy, they are dangerous. However, a tough test in Kentwood looms Friday.
6. Northeast (7-1), Episcopal (6-2) and East Feliciana (5-3): The 6-2A trio is unique and perplexing. Episcopal has the state ranking and a win over Northeast, but it’s Northeast that has beaten East Feliciana and can share the district title with EFHS with another win.
9. Ascension Catholic (7-2): The Bulldogs vault back into the rankings after a huge 8-1A win over White Castle.
10. White Castle (7-2): ACHS lost its 8-1A game to ACHS last week and now faces West St. John to close out the season. No easy task.