Michael Beychok, the 2012 National Handicapping Championship and 2012 Eclipse Award winner for best handicapper, brings 35 years of experience to The Advocate. Beychok — also the senior partner of Ourso Beychok Inc., a national political consulting firm based in Louisiana — is a partner in ttegames.net an online horse racing contest site. Follow him on Twitter: BeychokRacing.
1. Blaze Star: Throw out turf try and form looks good and gets the rail draw today.
7. Nola Fashion: Will need some pace up front to help his off pace run.
4. Don’t Split Tens: Beat next out winner impressively in last — nice horse here.
3. Mr. Misunderstood: Has won 3 of 3 on turf and is clearly horse to beat in this.
6. Beauley: Nice run off slight layoff in the last and drops significant weight for this.
9. Sugar Heaven: Turf tries are clearly not as sharp as dirt and gets that surface now.
5. Harbor Jedi: Really like this one’s chances in here fits this turf course running style.
2. Westminister Road: Got the best of top choice by a nose in their last meeting.
1. Bet on Black: Tough race to pick top choice — dropper gets the rail for try.
2. Sharp Clark: In form horse will show good early speed from drop of flag.
10. W V Jetsetter: Turf try was very good here and dirt try in last was good — strong.
3. All Dat Brees: Has a shot here running a good third to top choice — odds right.
6. Steam Burner: Bet in last — showed good speed — GeeMoney Melancon rides back.
4. Unbraided: Good speed going shorter in first start — will be prominent early.
3. My Curby: Another tough race here this one has shown well at the level.
1. Curzon Street: Has the class and likes this track if right might romp home.
4. Shamrock Star: This one is special if she can keep her head straight tough in here.
8. Red La Rosa: Has a puncher’s chance to pull off big upset in here from way back.
6. Tickatee Tickatay: Taking a shot on this horse facing easier and trying turf again.
10. U R My Last Chance: Smart win in last rallying to the lead easily and winning.
3. Heartfix: Has run second three times at the level and should get first win today.
1. Speedy Chorde: Interesting second off long layoff had lead in last from post 8.
Around the track
Good full card of competitive races Satursday at the Fair Grounds. There is rain in the forecast, but I think we will stay on turf so I’ve not included any off turf selections. In the ninth race we have a nice filly running named Shamrock Star for Bret Calhoun. This one almost got to the gate back in late January but had to be scratched because of pre-race antics. She is very fast and very talented and if she can get to the gate without incident should win against these today.
Our best bet Saturday will be in Race 4 — No. 5 Harbor Jedi. Has the closing style that has been favored over the past few weeks and is in good form. Good luck and may they all come home safely.