Michael Beychok, the 2012 National Handicapping Championship and 2012 Eclipse Award winner for best handicapper, brings 35 years of experience to The Advocate. Beychok — also the senior partner of Ourso Beychok Inc., a national political consulting firm based in Louisiana — is a partner in ttegames.net an online horse racing contest site. Follow him on Twitter:@BeychokRacing.
1. Cypress Cat: Showed some interest first out after a tough beginning at gate.
7. Rhettever: Ran evenly first out and retains jockey Saez for this run.
4. Efforting: Fair Grounds Racing Club horse ran well to a nice one first out — wins.
6. Shamrocks Star: Filly can run some but was scratched at gate in last.
1. Runaway Posse: Always seems to run his race and gets to save ground on rail today.
7. Prairie Rebel: Went to front in last today removes blinkers has some talent.
6. Wildwood Dejavu: Blinkers on and Flores stays on and horse should stay on for win.
2. Ready Right Now: Tough wide trip in last gets inside post today should help.
4. I’m a Chatterbox: Turf try with classy mare is interesting move by Jones and team.
5. Princes Erindelle: Will be trying to run down the top choice in the lane.
3. Inavanti: Claim and a drop here for connections and will be close up early.
2. Gimmeadrink: Recent form shows turf but this one has over dozen wins on dirt.
7. Trust Factor: Has developed nicely for Maker and is on the improve it seems.
8. Fort Pulaski: Ran second in the big turf La Bred stake here in December — fits.
1. Spring Value: Has to improve but last looks like perfect setup for this race.
7. So Happy: Hoping this one takes back just a bit off likely hot early pace.
4. Midnight Oak: Out of recently deceased Giant Oak — looks like the right play here.
5. Spicoli: One more chance for this guy now dropping down after two tries vs better.
2. Perfect Socks: Big win in last and in form should be enough to get win today.
5. Ten to Midnight: Consistent sort has run in the money at this level recently.
Around the track
Not a lot of value to be found on today’s card by this handicapper but the highlight is the second career start of the Fair Grounds Racing Club owned horse Efforting in Race 2. As mentioned here before, I’m a member of the club (and you can be too for a small fee and a visit to www.fgno.com) and I’m eagerly anticipating Efforting’s run today as she looks like a nice one. Tomorrow, however, is the big day for club members as Excitations, our three year old colt, runs in an allowance race following a smashing maiden score. A winning effort will earn him a chance in the Louisiana Derby and that is something to get all “excitations” about for this owner.
Our best bet Satutrday will be in Race 7 — No. 7 Trust Factor. This one has improved nicely and another step forward will produce a win at a nice price. Good luck and may they all come home safely.