Michael Beychok, the 2012 National Handicapping Championship and 2012 Eclipse Award winner for best handicapper, brings 35 years of experience to The Advocate. Beychok — also the senior partner of Ourso Beychok Inc., a national political consulting firm based in Louisiana — runs his own handicapping website, BeychokRacing.com. Follow him on Twitter: @BeychokRacing.
7. State Line: Been off awhile but working well and drops down in class.
8. Snowbird: Another one off for the summer and dropping back down to sellers.
2. Lucys Miss Lucket: Competitive in last at this level and can improve.
9. Night Parade: Off a bit slow in last but showed real interest at the end.
Off turf selections: 14-7
4. Valid Pursuit: Has improved in two local starts and was second at level in last.
5. First Cast: Should get the jump out the gate and will be tough to run down.
11. Anytime Baby: Not a bad effort with a bit of trouble and improvement coming.
6. Holy Tsu Tsu: Taking a flyer on this one who is bred very well for turf — a long shot for sure.
Off turf selections: 1-2
1. Seeyouatthedisco: First dirt race was a big one and repeat makes him very tough.
7. Forest Elf: First off the claim for Sharp and was a good one at the level in Kentucky.
7. Adens Dream: Ran nice Amoss horse to the wire in last and is fast.
10. Tiger Paw: Gelded since last and working OK for move back to sprinting.
Off turf selections: 7-12
7. Jockamos Song: This one has won two races very nicely and looks for third one here.
9. Grande Basin: throw out last — found a lot of traffic and trouble and is better.
4. Colour Party: Seems to be a bit more classy than some of these from past races.
7. Kings Ghost: Big run off the layoff and if improvement comes than tough in here.
Off turf selections: 10-11
- inth race
5. Whisky Biz: Off a layoff for good trainer and might come back better after rest.
10. Wilsperfectsuccess: Will have the early lead and might be tough to run down .
Around the Track
Holiday racing returns tomorrow on Martin Luther King Day for a nice card on a Monday. The jockeys race is getting tight at the top as Colby Hernandez and Richard Eramia are within three wins of each other. The addition of last year’s riding champion James Graham gives the Fair Grounds a very deep jockey colony moving into the second half of the racing meet. It’s an interesting race within the races to keep an eye on as more racing days are completed.
Our Best Bet today will be in Race 6 — No. 7 Adens Dream. This one ran into a next out winner in his last and that effort points to a winning run today. Good luck and may they all come home safely.