Michael Beychok, the 2012 National Handicapping Championship and 2012 Eclipse Award winner for best handicapper, brings 35 years of experience to The Advocate. Beychok — also the senior partner of Ourso Beychok Inc., a national political consulting firm based in Louisiana — is a partner in ttegames.net an online horse racing contest site. Follow him on Twitter: @BeychokRacing.
2. Whistling Wind: Confident we can start out a winner with this one in good form.
1. Toughjudgement: Winning in last and has a few good races sprinting — box with top.
3. Rasta Rant: Gets post position advantage on main competitors outside.
11. Tiree: Outside stalking trip will benefit but has been beaten by top choices.
12. Super Stroke: Will need to work out a trip from the outside to win.
3. Lu Raes Lucky Sky: Pace disadvantaged in last bets more early zip to run at.
5. Broken Key: Likes this track winning 50 percent of starts on this turf course.
6. Ghurair: New to the barn of Walsh who is having a terrific meet this year.
4. Tweeting: Well bred Uncle Mo from the powerful Glen Hill farm — ready to run.
2. Rehearsed: Will no doubt be running on at the end but might need more ground.
2. Hogy: Just a great competitor still at 8 years old — drops weight today for the win.
1. Green Mask: Nothing to knock here except the expected low off odds.
8. Xocoyotzin: Interesting name and ship in – trainer wins these types — long shot.
7. Zaevion: Firster for trainer who has won with a few of these lately — price shot.
Daisy Devine Stakes
2. Cambodia: Was choice in last but compromised by trip issues sticking with today
8. Believe in Bertie: Coming off a huge win in last two — tough to knock or beat.
5. Mo Tom: Should come back running as a four year old for GMB and Amoss.
3. December Seven: Impressed with last race but gets much tougher today.
Rachel Alexandra Stakes
4. Majestic Quality: This one is still a maiden but sneaky in here as a buster.
5. Valadorna: Nice late kick in last should improve off that effort tough to beat today.
Fair Grounds Handicap
9. Oscar Nominated: Ran the kind of breakthrough race you want to see at 4yo.
8. Western Reserve: Will get a better price than ML on this one and can win.
Risen Star Stakes
6. Guest Suite: Ran much better than I expected in last – should improve more today tough.
1. Girvin: Legit horse in here will be a price — perfect post for his stalking style.
9. Mo Town: Shipper has legit credentials — might be a step behind in conditioning.
13. Heat Flash: Post is tough but is in tip top form and coming off a claim into Pish barn.
2. Unbridled Giant: Better post — should make the lead at some point — improved effort.
Around the track
Great Louisiana Derby Preview card Saturday that will produce some runners for the Louisiana Derby and possibly the Kentucky Derby in a month. One of horse racing’s biggest fans will be looking down from the great racetrack in the sky this weekend unfortunately. One of my traveling racing companions, Emmett J. Boudreaux passed away suddenly this week. “Big E” accompanied me to Keeneland, Santa Anita for the Breeder’s Cup and to Saratoga this past summer. He and his wife Margaret would attend the Louisiana Derby regularly and Emmett could be found with our friends down on the paddock side at the Star Guitar bar on weekends. He will be missed but never forgotten. RIP Emmett Boudreaux.
Our best bet today will be in Race 5 — No. 2 Hogy. Hard knocking horse always runs his race and that is good enough for a win today. Good luck and may they all come home safely.