Michael Beychok, the 2012 National Handicapping Championship and 2012 Eclipse Award winner for best handicapper, brings 35 years of experience to The Advocate. Beychok — also the senior partner of Ourso Beychok Inc., a national political consulting firm based in Louisiana — is a partner in ttegames.net an online horse racing contest site. Follow him on Twitter: @BeychokRacing.
7. Bams Bams Pride: Couldn’t make lead in last and cost him plenty of lengths.
1. Vadoma: Rail draw helps here and last two are good enough to win today.
1. Pontifical: Expect big improvement off first race win for McGee today.
8. Wainscott: Should be able to handle the turf with breeding.
Off turf selections 5-8
1. Jubal: Last two on dirt have been very good for the level and gets rail.
8. Inspire Courage: Has found the courage to win twice and last was best.
10. Tinkerbella: Trainer solid with second starters and draws top jockey today.
4. Tengey: Well bred for Louisiana youngster and has been working well for first out.
Off turf selections 10-4
6. Aztec Lion: Pace play as this one will have plenty of speed to run down.
2. Newfound Gold: Will have some company up front today to contend with early on.
10. Promise Me Freedom: Throw out last two and turf races look competitive.
7. Itsthebourbontalking: Claimed for twice the price so finding easier here helps.
Off turf selections 3-4
1. Manning: Been waiting on this one to run back and glad on dirt — gets rail.
7. Multiplier: Should have won last but break cost him the winner’s circle photo.
9. Evil Twin: Like the drop down and trainer good with this freshening move.
2. Myositis Mystique: Another one dropping down to easier and working well.
Off turf selections 9-2
7. Charged: Moves to dirt to change surfaces and was well bet first two starts.
10. Lilt: Big race first out and retains highly regarded jockey for this run.
6. Hollywood Handsome: Was impressed with win and is on the improve.
8. Pat on the Back: Drops out of stakes into easier spot was well regarded last year.
3. Street Rhythm: Cutting back and taking blinkers off might be the switch needed.
11. Final Deed: Should have the lead here from the outside which is preferable.
Around the track
A very nice Saturday card for fans, including an allowance race for three-year-olds in the 10th race, which features some recent maiden winners looking to move down the Louisiana and Kentucky Derby trail. Midway Gold is a first out maiden winner that is stretching out for former Kentucky governor Brereton Jones and Larry Jones, who are not related. The son of Haynesfield is a homebred for Jones and is highly regarded, but there are others I prefer in this heat including our best bet of the day.
Our best bet today will be in Race 10 — No. 6 Hollywood Handsome. A fast horse in the fall, he finally came back to that early showing with smashing win in last. Good luck and may they all come home safely.