Michael Beychok, the 2012 National Handicapping Championship and 2012 Eclipse Award winner for best handicapper, brings 35 years of experience to The Advocate. Beychok — also the senior partner of Ourso Beychok Inc., a national political consulting firm based in Louisiana — runs his own handicapping website, BeychokRacing.com. Follow him on Twitter: @BeychokRacing.
Picks made today for fast track and on turf..
5. Jax Be Quick: Sure looks to get a good pace setup in this mile race.
1. Cents of Legion: Logical alternative to the top choice from the rail post.
4. Ramonas Wildcat: Been trying to get this one in for a few weeks now.
6. Squatty: Big win in last cannot be overlooked and the price is right.
3. Pontificating: First was an off the turfer but gets preferred surface here.
1. Zipperini: Think this one has more to give and show based off first effort.
6. Montbrooks Miracle: Gets the mile distance that this one needs to win.
7. Freddie One Bite: Will probably get first run on the top choice in stretch.
1. Planet: A bit unlucky to not win in last after finding clear sailing.
2. Gavar: Regally bred horse showed some spunk in last taking the lead.
1. Sapphire Seas: One of the most impressive maiden winners of the meet returns .
7. Partay: Legitimate threat to top choice off good races up north in Illinois.
7. He’s From Queens: Trainer having a stellar meet and this one has talent.
2. Junkers: Likley to be near the pace and has run against some top horses.
1. S’Marvelous: Ran a corker of a race while wide in last in Arkansas — good spot here.
5. Coin Broker: Looks like he might be on the improve for Asmussen.
- inth race
5. Hawaakom: Big win in last beating nice horses turf should be no issue.
7. Ride on Curlin: Move to turf could be the right move at the right time for this one.
11. La Linda Pinta: First time starter looks to have a bit of run .
4. Flying Tinkerbell: Drops to lowest level here and a repeat of last wins this.
Around the Track
Very nice Lundi Gras card on tap today with some up and coming stars like Sapphire Seas and some horses like Ride on Curlin trying to find their spark again. The great stretch of weather has provided fans with some nice turf racing and fast tracks over the past week and the turf course is getting a bit more speedier favoring horses a bit closer to the lead in our opinion so keep on eye on the track today to see if that trend continues.
Our best bet today will be in Race 9 — No. 5 Hawaakom. This one ran a big one in last and the breeding suggests that turf should be no issue in transferring of the form. Good luck and may they all come home safely.