Michael Beychok, the 2012 National Handicapping Championship and 2012 Eclipse Award winner for best handicapper, brings 35 years of experience to The Advocate. Beychok — also the senior partner of Ourso Beychok Inc., a national political consulting firm based in Louisiana — runs his own handicapping website, BeychokRacing.com. Follow him on Twitter: @BeychokRacing.
Picks made today for fast track and on turf.
7. Booth Road Ozzie: Moving up in class off win with familiar Albarado aboard.
4. Buxton Boy: Drops in class for second race under Sharp who is good with this angle.
4. Datamining: Sharp is just that second off a claim with a horse that showed improvement.
3. Parlay Ponti: Drops in class staying on turf looking for hot pace to close into.
Off turf selections: 2-13.
3. Connor’s Ace: Coming off two-month layoff will pounce late.
6. Orthodox River: Drops in class with highest speed figure in field at the distance.
4. Long Lost Friend: Gighest prime power in race loves the turf mile distance.
2. Cort’s Design: Coming off three-month layoff with respectable record at track.
Off turf selections: 3-6.
4. Carlita Shake: Ran well in only start at level.
6. Ide Biduadeau: Stewart/Geroux connection dropping in class on a five-month layoff.
7. I Call Shotgun: Wide-open race this horse can improve off layoff hit board 9 of 10 races .
5. Blue Grass Road: Sharp last workout with hot jockey at a price .
Off turf selections: 13-7.
4. Just Kissing Buck: Hernandez back aboard horse that clearly likes to be in the money.
7. V.I. Dancer: Sharp shipper has shown flashes of speed.
9. Inconclusive: Horse will close late off what should be a fast pace.
7. Smittys Cougar: Faucheux good going dirt to turf at decent price.
Off turf selections: 3-7.
- inth race
12. Z Bonita: Faucheux/Graham connection this grey has best dirt speed in field.
5. Southern Snow: Eramia aboard horse bet well in debut.
Around the Track
Taking a quick look at the trainer and jockey standings shows that the races have tightened and now Florent Geroux has a 1-win lead over early meet leader Colby Hernandez. Geroux leads 46-45 going into today’s action. Over on the trainer side the standings are just as tight with Mike Stidham holding a 4-win lead over Joe Sharp, Brad Cox, and Tom Amoss with 21 wins to 17 each for Sharp, Amoss, and Cox.
Our best bet today will be in Race 3 — No. 3 Connor’s Ace. Ran second in last race coming off layoff should run well for Broberg today. Good luck and may they all come home safely.