Michael Beychok, the 2012 National Handicapping Championship and 2012 Eclipse Award winner for best handicapper, brings 35 years of experience to The Advocate. Beychok — also the senior partner of Ourso Beychok Inc., a national political consulting firm based in Louisiana — runs his own handicapping website, BeychokRacing.com. Follow him on Twitter: @BeychokRacing.
Picks Made Today for Fast Track and ON Turf
First Three Races Are Quarter Horse Races
5. Aliana: Pval is riding like he is 30 rather than 50+ — horse fits.
3. Pacific Pink: The horse to beat off the layoff for hot trainer.
2. Deep Bottom: Very handy — can be placed anywhere and is fastest.
4. Watch My Smoke: Was going to win last but had to pull up to avoid gate.
7. Four Leaf Chief: Off slow but came running late in nice effort — big price here.
1. String King: Old warrior has won nearly $1 million and tries to get the money one more time Saturday. Great horse to watch compete.
9. Hopeful Notion: Has nice race over the track — could upset — use in exotics/multis.
13. Conquest Tiz One: Horse to beat if he draws in the field.
1. Sunny Oak: Big post move outside to in — second start — nice first run points to live.
11. Acid Rain: Nice run over the strip — improves Saturday for top effort.
6. Miss Isla: Didn’t run a step after gates opened in last — will rebound Saturday.
3. Cajun Conoseir: Undefeated and well rested.
4. Conquest Tiz One: Maiden can compete with these at a price.
10. Skip the Pinot: Looks to sit on outside and pounce to the front.
9. Cajun Silver: Must respect first time Broberg and has back speed to compete.
3. Stormdriver: The upset candidate to horses to beat below.
5. The Pickett Factor: Always runs his race — huge prep for this in last has him ready.
9. Mobile Bay: Super Derby winner had tough race in last and ships a long way.
2. Mageez: Closed into what could have been worst part of the track in last.
11. G’s Josh: Got going late in last needs earlier kick to win against these.
12. Bayou Banker: Nice win in last — this might be too short for well-bred colt.
8. Teelfa: Ran against a nice bunch in last and ran well enough to win here.
1. Snappy Girl: Gets rail for back on dirt try and has speed to win.
6. One Last Cigarette: Horse has been working well for Johnston and cost $150k at sale.
2. Rare Rose Royce: Training well for first start for solid connections.
3. Northwoods Cat: Out of solid fast family and could sneak in for a piece of this.
Around the Track
Louisiana Champions Day is Saturday, and the card is full of great horses, especially the old man String King, who bids for a repeat in the Turf. A winner of nearly $1 million, he tries to go over that mark with a win and will be tough to beat.
Our Best Bet will be in Race 8, No. 6 Miss Isla. I expect this one to bounce back in a big way for Asmussen and connections . We can draw a line through that last outing at Delta Downs to get a good price. Good luck, and may they all come home safely.