Michael Beychok, the 2012 National Handicapping Championship and 2012 Eclipse Award winner for best handicapper, brings 35 years of experience to The Advocate. Beychok — also the senior partner of Ourso Beychok Inc., a national political consulting firm based in Louisiana — is a partner in ttegames.net an online horse racing contest site. Follow him on Twitter: @BeychokRacing.
5. Dark Time: Comes off a nice win and good pattern of races leading up to this.
1. Winning Argument: Horse to beat off of the blow out 11-length win in last.
5. Deep Explorer: Cutback in distance and a change of jockey will help this one.
2. Gridiron Cat: Big one in last on dirt now moves over to turf.
Off turf selections: 2-8
3. Blonde At The Bar: Ran into a couple of nice ones in first couple tries — easier now.
7. Quick Graduate: Giving this one another shot after learning experience in first out.
6. Kingston Terrace: Horse has some class advantages on this group — 2nd off claim.
2. Vow of Secrecy: First off the claim for a good barn this meet with claimers.
Off turf selections: 7-8
2. Giermo: Near impossible race so taking one on the two Stidham first time starters.
5. Dollar Billy: The other Stidham first timer and draws Murrill for the ride along.
8. Star Gaze: Good first outing for this one and should improve today enough for win.
1. Betty Booyah: Draws rail to save ground and ran third against nice horse in last.
6. Mas Mischief: Back on turn and into a new barn for this start.
3. Red Corvette: Running against much better and drops from a stakes race.
Off turf selections: 8-1
3. Fairwell Tax Break: Back on track after blowout win in last and gets good setup.
2. Doxology: Back to best surface on dirt and should get pace to run into today.
10. Kittens Gold: Post is an issue but looks to be set to graduate today.
7. Wolf Strike: Should improve off first start and that puts him in the mix.
Off turf selections: 11-6
Around the track
There might be some rain overnight and early Sunday so check the off turf selections for alternate picks if the races are moved off the turf and consider scaling down your wagers if the track comes up sloppy as the picks were made for a fast track. The Fair Grounds turf course has held up nicely this year with the few rain days we’ve experienced and this bodes well for next year as even more new stables will be shipping in to run over the grass course.
Our best bet Sunday will be in Race 6 — Np. 8 Star Gaze — a good first out and should only improve for trainer Stall Sunday in second try. Good luck and may they all come home safely.
Championship and 2012 Eclipse Award winner for best handicapper, brings 35 years of experience to The Advocate. Beychok — also the senior partner of Ourso Beychok Inc., a national political consulting firm based in Louisiana — is a partner in ttegames.net an online horse racing contest site. Follow him on Twitter: