Michael Beychok, the 2012 National Handicapping Championship and 2012 Eclipse Award winner for best handicapper, brings 35 years of experience to The Advocate. Beychok — also the senior partner of Ourso Beychok Inc., a national political consulting firm based in Louisiana — runs his own handicapping website, BeychokRacing.com. Follow him on Twitter: @BeychokRacing.
6. South Beach Dancer: Nothing fancy here — has been competitive with this sort.
1a. Awsome Lady Ann: 5-year-old gets only her third start and should improve.
5. Osidy Cat: Did show some spark facing better on the turf awhile back.
6. Tough Spark: Should show some speed here today and is live long shot.
6. Heatseeker Sharon: Slight edge in a very well matched group of turf runners.
1. Cajun Maid: Ran right behind top choice and could do so again today.
5. Prospector D’Oro: First-timer has good fast works from the gate and well bred.
6. Flashy Ruthie: Another first-timer with breeding that suggests quickness.
5. Quick Dagger: Two-time turf winner for Sharp looks to make it three in a row.
1. Basmati: Has run into the top choice in last two and had no answer to opponent.
2. Likeallgetout: Has a couple of wins already in a race with many non-winners.
9. Ike Walker: Obvious choice after running against some real classy foes.
2. Sugar Sweet: Impressed by this one’s maiden win — has room for improvement.
6. Sweet Basil: Believe this one needed the last race for fitness and will improve.
3. Shesaheadatthebar: Looks like this one will appreciate the longer distance.
2. I Wanna Play: Just ran third going a bit shorter but fits well with these.
6. Nolangrantskitten: Claimed back by breeders and Sharp and well meant.
1. Waronthehomefront: Rider change will help and is competitive at level.
Around the Track
The Fair Grounds announced a 10 percent increase in purses starting Saturday. After much criticism last year the management at the Fair Grounds should be commended for fixing the turf course which has already hosted more races compared to last year. Bigger fields lead to more betting which leads to higher daily handle which leads to increased purses for owners. Well done Fair Grounds and Tim Bryant and team.
Our best bet today will be in Race 8 as a Daily Double. Let’s use the 2-3 with the 1-6 in the late daily double on what looks like a chalky day. Good Luck and may they all come home safely.