Michael Beychok, the 2012 National Handicapping Championship and 2012 Eclipse Award winner for best handicapper, brings 35 years of experience to The Advocate. Beychok — also the senior partner of Ourso Beychok Inc., a national political consulting firm based in Louisiana — runs his own handicapping website, BeychokRacing.com. Follow him on Twitter: @BeychokRacing.
Picks made today for fast track and on turf..
3. Berniestrike: Will improve going to dirt just missing in last being caught late.
7. Outofthisgalaxy: Amoss has leg up with newby’s and will be put on the lead here.
4. Geaux Claire Geaux: Third in last race will need to sit right off lead .
5. Ranger’s Dream: Speed signed up failed as favorite in last comes right back.
3. Aunt Lois: 14 of 24 board hitter looks to get on lead and wire this field.
7. Jias Pal: Drops down to shorter distance 2nd off claim hold highest speed figure in field.
1. Seneca Destiny: Stakes placed horse won 12 of 32 races gets Geroux who is 50 per cent for the barn.
8. Cardinal Girl: Long shot play here has won three of seven starts over the turf course will come late.
Off turf selections: 1-9.
2. Yankee Lass: Just missed in debut comes back looking to graduate.
8. Degree: Asmussen looks to steal one here with this second off claimer stretches out today.
5. Majestic Angel: Gets Geroux off sharp workout and barely missed last out .
6. Texas Special: Stidham trained taking stab with this one closing late.
Off turf selections: 9-1.
4. Miss Ruby’s Legacy: Amoss runner that has early speed has hit board in all starts.
2. Delusional K K: 12 of 14 board hitter looking to repeat last effort in form .
3. Hey Pretty Boy: Third start since layoff just missed against today’s rival in last.
2. Cape Race: Holds best last-race speed figure has to be considered here.
Off turf selections: 11-7.
10. Uno More: Grey holds fastest dirt speed sired out of Mucho Uno.
4. Two Punch Millie: Led past 1/16 in debut on turf goes to dirt will be speed in field.
3. Alaskan Prince: Has been solid in last few a game effort today will graduate.
8. Classic Ride: Will sit right off lead class relief should help stay competitive.
Off turf selections: 1-6.
8. Irish Rock Star: Grey third start since layoff just missing in last three.
11. Guardsman: Drops back down off sharp workout and goes shorter distance.
2. Royal Rush: If she can get a non-troubled trip the field won’t be able to hold her off.
8. Slew City Lou: Moves from open company to state breds and gets shorter trip.
Off turf selections: 7-12.
9. Yankee Star: Post should help needs strong effort after drop down from debut.
3. Proud Italian: Comes in off sharp workout in debut gets lasix at nice odds.
Around the Track
The big stakes day is nearly upon us led by the 103rd running of the Grade II Twinspires.com Louisiana Derby Saturday. In addition to the monetary value of the race, the winner and place, show and fourth places receive coveted Kentucky Derby points, which are required to get in the gate on Derby Day. Run over 1 1?8 miles on the main track, the winner and second-place finisher will have enough points to guarantee a spot in the Kentucky Derby field on the first Saturday in May. The Louisiana Derby has attracted a stellar field including shippers from top stables to take on the local contingent of three-year-old colts.
Our best bet today will be in Race 4 — No. 1 Seneca Destiny. Geroux undefeated on this horse is clear morning line favorite holds best turf speed in field. Good luck and may they all come home safely.