Michael Beychok, the 2012 National Handicapping Championship and 2012 Eclipse Award winner for best handicapper, brings 35 years of experience to The Advocate. Beychok — also the senior partner of Ourso Beychok Inc., a national political consulting firm based in Louisiana — is a partner in ttegames.net an online horse racing contest site. Follow him on Twitter: @BeychokRacing.
6. Panzer: Like the outside draw with early speed here — options abound for jock.
1. Lion Heart Legend: Should try for the early lead here from the rail.
3. Matusak: Was a recent claim for Calhoun and Remington Park form holds well here.
6. Amerjack: Let’s give this one another shot on dirt as past form on surface strong.
3. Vittorioso: Might get that elusive win over this course today at a nice price.
5. Wyeth: Solid favorite — tough luck loser in last two better trip equals a win.
12. Vanishing Image: Speed from the outside and attracts top jockey for trip.
5. Dixieland Flash: Was bet down first out but found trouble — another chance.
10. Spicoli: Got a good education in last expect a more relaxed trip in here.
5. Wolf Strike: First timer looks solid in here with stout breeding to win early.
7. Beauty’s Pioneer: Should get good trip behind what looks like a lot of speed.
9. Rocketringo: Will be trying to get position from the outside at the start.
5. Pure Michigan: Second start after bet down at Kentucky Downs — live in here.
11. How: Trainer from up north heating up a bit down here in New Orleans.
5. Promisedyouheaven: Looks to get the early lead at distance where leader tough.
1. Five Star Nap: Rail helps chances as this one should be able to save ground for late run.
8. Salengo: Stretching out a bit here but extra distance should be no problem.
6. Candir: In the money finishes in last two so certainly fits in with these.
Around the track
A nice Sunday card as trainers are finally able to ship in horses from other training tracks and tracks after the quarantine was lifted which makes for full fields for bettors to consider. If you are doing some of your own handicapping a trend that has developed this week is that early speed or horses that are close to the lead in sprint races seem to enjoying a bit of an advantage over their closing kick competitors so pay attention to those horses that like to be in the early mix in the dirt sprint races.
Our best bet today will be in Race 4 — No. 12 Vanishing Image Like the setup with speed from the outside here. Good luck and may they all come home safely.