Michael Beychok, the 2012 National Handicapping Championship and 2012 Eclipse Award winner for best handicapper, brings 35 years of experience to The Advocate. Beychok — also the senior partner of Ourso Beychok Inc., a national political consulting firm based in Louisiana — runs his own handicapping website, BeychokRacing.com. Follow him on Twitter: @BeychokRacing.
1. So Nilsson: Has shown needed speed in last few and stretches out here.
6. Pink Twice: Coming back after splitting the field in last at the level.
3. Jus Kevin: Has a lot going for her here including good second time out stat.
5. Million Dollar Day: Who can say they have had a million-dollar day?
OFF TURF SELECTIONS: 3-5
3. Stately Oak: This horse is dropping in to get the win here for connections.
5. What an Image: Another dropper looking for a soft spot for a win.
3. Amazing Bets: Jockey change helps chances at this level, where she has a second-place finish.
5. La Bruna Forte: Certainly has run against much better in her career.
OFF TURF SELECTIONS: 5-7
7. Reigning Catfish: Big effort in last; must stand the higher class level.
4. Ground Force: Big win in past two make this one tough to beat on the raise.
4. Counton Claire: Gets class relief and stays on the right surface for hot trainer Cox.
1. Esken Lady: Has a few races under her belt but might be best on turf.
OFF TURF SELECTIONS: 11-9
5. Jazzy Rebel: Big effort off the layoff and comes back after a work in between.
8. Danny T: Longshot winner two back is in great form, and closing kick might work.
9. DJ Soul Sista: Doesn’t like dirt but the turf should suit just fine at big price.
2. Lexis Love: Has been competitive at the level, and turf is right surface.
OFF TURF SELECTIONS: 7-6
2. Let the Lady Speak: Off the claim and a drop in class makes this one tough.
3. Sugar Kate: Won nicely in last and gets a good post for this one.
6. Appleslastchance: Likes to run third, but hot pace will improve chances.
Around the Track
Friday is the second day of the National Handicapping Championships, and players out at the Treasure Island will be wagering on races at the Fair Grounds. The format allows players to bet on 18 races a day from multiple tracks around the country on each of the first two days with the final 10 percent going to a third day, which features a final table of 10 with $ 2.5 million up for grabs. Now, that is a Million Dollar Day (see Race 5 for the reference)!
Our Best Bet will be in Race 5, No. 7 Reigning Catfish. Big win in last and looks to be able to repeat the effort. Good luck, and may they all come home safely.