Michael Beychok, the 2012 National Handicapping Championship and 2012 Eclipse Award winner for best handicapper, brings 35 years of experience to The Advocate. Beychok — also the senior partner of Ourso Beychok Inc., a national political consulting firm based in Louisiana — runs his own handicapping website, BeychokRacing.com. Follow him on Twitter: @BeychokRacing.
Picks made for Fast track and on turf
10. Street Rhythm: Five of six board hitter for Stall will track right off early pace.
9. Renegade River: Drops down has nice turf speed and will be coming late.
Off turf selections: 3-5
1. Astronomy: Highest last race speed rating will be the one to catch likely wires field .
6. T C B Kiwi’s: Drops down to lowest level looking to earn a pay check.
8. Molly O’Shea: Gets familiar Geroux off sharp workout and brief layoff.
4. Storm Temple Pilot: Missed in last two after being put on lead looks to Albarado.
Off turf selections: 13-7
4. Bad Behavior: Drops down for Faucheux has hit board in 7 of last 8.
9. Revenueneutral: Well bet in debut win for Amoss will be put on lead looking for repeat.
6. Gold Wing: Asmussen turfer won last out to break maiden closing late have to respect.
9. Rock N Sake: Coming off two wins he will be ready to rock will have hot pace to run at today.
Off turf selections: 1-4
8. Adens Dream: Barely missed in first four starts after being on lead will give game effort.
6. Tiger Paw: Will improve third start since layoff ran second in last versus same company.
Off turf selections: 2-4
14. Smittys Cougar: Has won four of seven starts is a major player today for Faucheux.
1. Blue Ribbon Girl: Horse is battle tested in brief career and will be ready at a price.
Off turf selections: 14-15
7. Yonaguska Storm: Winner last out for Moss/Amoss connection will be near lead.
5. Lighter Fluid: Adds blinkers had hit board in last four races will be right with top choice.
5. Whiskey Bravo: Winner of last three races goes to Geroux holds top turf speed in field.
1a. Partly Mocha: Part of double Ramsey entry will be coming late; have to consider.
Off turf selections: 1-9
10. War Force: Last out win has run consistent in last few runs with early speed.
7. Basket of Dreams: Drops down has early speed will be a player at price from start.
8. Bel Air Bullet: Showed in last two races will sit midpack and conserve energy.
13. Cruachan: Barley missed in last holds fast turf speed will be coming late.
Off turf selections: 14-5
12. I Am Atlas: Beaten favorite in last early speed will help today for Sharp.
1. Reddogs Revenge: First-time starter gets rail at nice odds; breeding suits distance.
7. Rare: Drops in class looks to get back to form of two back and close into hot pace.
8. Topcatmark: Drops in class will improve at shorter distance.
Off turf selections: 6-4
4. Papa G’s Lil Angel: First time starter off sharp workout breeding hints will take to turf.
11. Bam Bam’s Pride: Drops down in class out of a key race where contenders graduated.
Off turf selections: 6-1
Around the track
Closing day to a fantastic race meet at the Fair Grounds with many new stars being born. What a great day of racing Saturday, and best of luck to those who go on to the Kentucky Derby and Kentucky Oaks. The race for leading trainer will go down to the last day with Michael Stidham, Joe Sharp and Tom Amoss fighting it out. The title would be Stidham and Sharp’s first. Thanks for following along again this year, and see you next year at the old Gentilly oval.
Our best bet today will be in Race 7 — No. 14, Smittys Cougar. The horse will be put on the lead, and the field will have to run him down if they want to end up in the winner’s circle. Good luck, and may they all come home safely.