Michael Beychok, the 2012 National Handicapping Championship and 2012 Eclipse Award winner for best handicapper, brings 35 years of experience to The Advocate. Beychok — also the senior partner of Ourso Beychok Inc., a national political consulting firm based in Louisiana — is a partner in ttegames.net an online horse racing contest site. Follow him on Twitter:@BeychokRacing.
6. Prognosis: Will have outside pressure and improves off of last race.
2. Factory of Faith: Will try to reverse the outcome with likely favorite.
5. She’s Back Again: Expect improved effort for this one off a bit of layoff.
6. Havingfunyet: Drops down and draws top jockey for this engagement.
5. Arkansas Martini: This race is devoid of any speed so taking this one to wire field.
4. Johnny Handsome: Should get a good trip and could win if he finds his GP form.
6. Rum Punch: Trainer is very good with these types of layoffs and this one fits.
5. Blasted Boss: Dud in last against good ones and now gets surface to excel.
8. Miss Town Chiff: This one won like a good thing first out — tries to go back to back.
5. Electracutioner: Needs to find the form from first outing to compete in here.
3. Brisson: Will be a nice price and has right running style for this turf race.
8. My Kinda Devil: Recent claim looks to be well spotted right back in here.
4. Excitations: Two very professional runs including nose lose to Risen Star winner.
1. Resilency: First race tipped this one’s talent and has shot to upset here.
8. Midnight Blue Note: Long shot here has a chance to spring big upset for Mason.
4. Priest N The Rabbi: Nice looking win in last but needs to step up a bit today.
2. Tengey: Our choice in first start now drops down but continues to work well.
12. Tame the Belle: Nice run first out showing good speed and effort.
Around the track
Well matched fields are on tap today and the turf races continue to draw full fields so let’s hope the rain stays away until after the Sunday card. The Fair Grounds Racing Club horse Excitations will try to take another step forward down the Louisiana Derby trail today in the seventh race, but the path is not an easy one as he faces tough competition. Trainer Al Stall, Jr. has taken his time with this horse and nearly 100 “owners” will be watching and pinning their Derby hopes on Excitations performance Sunday. Wish us a safe trip and good luck.
Our best bet today will be in Race 4 — No. 6 Rum Punch. This one impressed first out winning by daylight and fits Sunday. Good luck and may they all come home safely.