Michael Beychok, the 2012 National Handicapping Championship and 2012 Eclipse Award winner for best handicapper, brings 35 years of experience to The Advocate. Beychok — also the senior partner of Ourso Beychok Inc., a national political consulting firm based in Louisiana — runs his own handicapping website, BeychokRacing.com. Follow him on Twitter: @BeychokRacing.
Picks made today for fast track and on turf.
3. Wilsperfectsuccess: Ran 3rd versus similar in last looks to graduate today.
5. Future Express: Dropping back to a mile needs to run right off the pace.
5. Late Night Lu: Drops in class gets top jockey and great speed rating for this one.
4. Full Metal: Grey closed well last out. Repeat effort will be good enough.
Off turf selections: 5-8.
1. Esken Lady: Gets favorable rail post looks to improve going back to turf.
6. Princess Sela: Amoss sends out an A.P. Indy line with a shot to fire in here.
3. Jade With Envy: Will benefit from what should be a very hot pace for leading trainer.
7. Artistic License: Amoss sends out a horse that has hit board in 7 of last 8.
Off turf selections: 1-2.
5. Doc Almon: Coming off last out wire will benefit from hot pace.
4. Mars Curiosity: Roussel connection coming off 9-month needed layoff .
3. Aqtaar: Winner of last 2 likes to run out front.
10. Tune Me In: Eight of last nine has hit board should rate well here .
Off turf selections: 8-7.
3. Look Into My Eyes: Likes the track has hit board in 6 of 7 can’t find reason not to like.
8. Lookout Mountain: Looks to improve at shorter distance will sit right off leader at price.
3. My Smokin Hot Wife: Grey showed fight in debut adds blinkers gets Geroux.
8. River City Lady: Showed closing speed in debut could rate at a nice price here.
Off turf selections: 2-9.
1. Yankee Star: Drops down in class gets rail adds blinkers.
4. Mitchnjohnny: Grey 1st timer coming off sharp workout and breeding fits distance.
Around the Track
We are heading into March and Louisiana Derby Day is less than a month away. The cards at the Fair Grounds have been very good and much credit should go to management and their commitment to upgrade the facilities and turf course. Saturday is Wiener Dog Racing presented by Double M Feed and there will be a Chok’s Choices selection.
Our best bet today will be in Race 7 — No. 3 Look Into My Eyes. Horse has hit the board in six of seven. Will take early lead and should benefit from speed up front with shot to wire field. Good luck and may they all come home safely.