Michael Beychok, the 2012 National Handicapping Championship and 2012 Eclipse Award winner for best handicapper, brings 35 years of experience to The Advocate. Beychok — also the senior partner of Ourso Beychok Inc., a national political consulting firm based in Louisiana — runs his own handicapping website, BeychokRacing.com. Follow him on Twitter: @BeychokRacing.
4. Yabbay: Ran behind a daylight winner in last with a bit of trouble.
8. Luv it Up: Will probably be going to the front from the outside.
4. Goblet of Fire: Was well bet in debut: now freshened and gets turf to boot.
6. Alexis Rules: Has run 2nd on the turf at this distance so must respect chances.
Off turf selections: 3-4.
2. Spank: A series of good fast steady works for this daughter of Blame.
4. Chiding: Another with a good work tab and has run well before now for Cox.
7. Bellamy Run: Has been off a bit but moves to good trainer who is great with layoffs.
8. Royal Warrant: Dropping down in class and has been right there vs. better.
Off turf selections: 13-11.
1. Self Starter: Gets the rail and has the speed to lead these all the way off last .
2. Include Indycat: Dirt tries are ok and will likely sit right off the speed inside.
(If 13 Dekabrist draws into the field he is the top choice).
8. Taking Charge: Multiple winner over this course and turf specialist.
7. General Election: Move to new barn might trigger a return to good form.
Off turf selections: 12-8.
2. Lemon Drop Belle: Nice win first out and gets dirt for second try in career.
3. Tsunami Girl: Clearly the horse to beat based of last effort over this track.
10. Big Dog Doug: Turf tries at LAD were miles ahead of dirt form and gets Graham.
3. Grand Isle: Likes this turf course and comes in from better company.
Off turf selections: 3-5.
- inth race
1. Clearly Now: Betting this one will get a better track for his closing move.
3. Too Dim: Loves this racetrack and always gives good account of himself on track.
6. Combatlan: Gonna give this one another shot at level for Amoss off a claim.
4. Lighter Fluid: Will get a nice pace to run at and setup for a close off the pace.
Around the Track
While not a stake race the ninth race today is a rematch of the Thanksgiving Day Handicap pitting winner Control Stake against the millionaire Clearly Now. The track on that day seemed to favor the style of Control Stake, and I think with a more fair track today that Clearly Now should turn the tables on his rival while Louisiana-bred Too Dim is a horse to give some respect to as well based on his performances over this racetrack..
Our best bet today will be in Race 10 — No. 6 Combatlaan. Ran OK in first start for Amoss and slight improvement gets this one in the winner’s circle today. Good luck and may they all come home safely. .