Michael Beychok, the 2012 National Handicapping Championship and 2012 Eclipse Award winner for best handicapper, brings 35 years of experience to The Advocate. Beychok — also the senior partner of Ourso Beychok Inc., a national political consulting firm based in Louisiana — runs his own handicapping website, BeychokRacing.com. Follow him on Twitter: @BeychokRacing.
Picks made today for fast track and on turf
4. Tia’s Buckaroux: Eramia looks to graduate this Buck in open field.
1. Goforthegreen: Open field looking to the first timer to make an impact.
3. Wow Wow Wooster: Hernandez will improve with blinkers could wire field.
6. Dealer’s Etbauer: Looks to go back to improve going back to a sprint.
6. Half Fast Rose : Coming off two-race win streak with Geroux
3. Another Pinot : Leggio/Graham will improve fourth off layoff.
Off turf selections: 3-8
1. Grande Chica: Will look to get out front and use speed to advantage.
6. Indy Bones: Drops in class will be coming late with Graham aboard.
8. Gold Chrome: Moss/Amoss/Albarado add blinkers going shorter distance.
9. Pocket Time: Hernandez steps down in class goes back to grass.
Off turf selections: 9-7
6. Calamity Jane: Drops in class will look to close late as heavy favorite.
3. Warrior’s Fire: Going back to dirt sticking with Hernandez will try to hold off field.
3. Arch Rivalry: Stidham enters coming off sharp workout.
9. Anterior: Hit board in three of last four outings trying turf again.
Off turf selections: 7-8
4. Garrison Commander: Sharp ran second in last goes right back.
2. Roman’s Chance: Another Sharp entry off claim just missed last out.
8. Tonto’s Sister: Second in last outing but looks to get over hump today.
10. Gu Gu Beans: Drops down going a route under new trainer Lovell.
Off turf selections: 13-11
Around the Track
The Fair Grounds announced a 10 per cent increase in purses for the final two weeks of the meet and the addition of two $50,000 stakes races during the same time period. The Esplanade and the New Orleans Ladies Stakes will be added for older filly and mares. The increase in purses is a welcome sight for owners and trainers and is a result of a higher than anticipated handle and increased video poker revenue.
Our best bet today will be in Race 6 — No. 6 Calamity Jane. Decedent of Giant’s Causeway should get win today dropping down with hot jockey of late. Good luck and may they all come home safely.