Michael Beychok, the 2012 National Handicapping Championship and 2012 Eclipse Award winner for best handicapper, brings 35 years of experience to The Advocate. Beychok — also the senior partner of Ourso Beychok Inc., a national political consulting firm based in Louisiana — is a partner in ttegames.net an online horse racing contest site. Follow him on Twitter: BeychokRacing.
2. Leroidesdanse: Inside post and has some stalking speed to work out trip.
3. Let Him Live: Awful run in last might inflate odds a bit but this one fits well.
2. Moon Over Cuzco: Has some dirtied up form but fits nicely at a big price here.
8. Whiskey Bravo: Claimed from leading trainer and first effort was good.
6. Duenay: Looked like a stone cold winner then flattened badly — shorter trip now.
4. Coteau Jozi: Certainly has the back class to prevail here — might be coming around.
Black Cat Lacombe Stakes
3. Rum Go: Trying to beat the favorite here with horse who impressed me at KEE.
6. Stallion Heiress: Obviously horse to beat off two daylight wins over course.
3. Open Interest: Dangerous today off the move back to dirt with speed to hold.
7. Queen Victoria: No knocks on this one except price will bet too short to wager.
Red Camelia Stakes
7. Calamity Jane: Has a shot to upset big favorite in here with late run.
5. Believe in Bertie: OK I believe now this one is a freak on FG turf course.
2. Pacific Pink: Another with a shot for upset or to use under the big chalk.
2. Danny T: Last was better than looked from way outside — puncher’s shot for upset.
6. Finishlikeapro: Off a layoff ran a good race and should improve here right back.
3. How: Awful trip in last so less traffic today should equal a win for this one.
1. Charged: Well bred horse’s home looks like turf which she gets back on today.
1. Happy High Porto: Playing this one right back and gets post relief today too.
4. Beauty’s Pioneer: Gets a needed relief in class but fits nicely with these.
4. Warlander: Taking a flyer here on a long shot with Sophie Doyle first turf.
6. Star Cross: Good try last out on turf against a repeat winner — fits well.
Around the track
The Allen “Black Cat” Lacombe Stakes is a race near and dear to my heart. I knew of “Black Cat” but he it seemed he knew everyone in New Orleans — and certainly the people worth knowing. We shared the same affinity for horse racing and politics, but I think our similarities ended right there. He was an unforgettable racetrack character and personality who left us in 1989 and at his funeral the hearse carrying his casket made a final run around the racetrack crossing the finish line as a winner.
Our best bet Saturday will be in Race 8 — No. 3 How. How this one lost in last is easy to figure out if you check the replay — better trip Saturday hopefully. Good luck and may they all come home safely.