Picks made today for fast track and off turf.
4. Este Es: Clunker in last — has the ability to win this with good trip.
3. River Road: Professional win first out and could improve here.
4. Ks Got a Notion: Looks like the likely winner on dirt based on previous form.
7. Uptown Tempo: First time starter for Cox who has won with this type already.
On turf selections: 1-4.
2. Slick Pardoned Me: Should get the race setup he needs to stalk and pounce here.
4. Aniar: Might not need to lead but got a nice trip to win in last.
4. Reincarnation: Drops down to sellers for first time and sports a nice work into this.
11. Summer Whites: Big debut race and with small improvement will contend.
On turf selections: 6-11.
6. Run With Honor: Ran a winning race in last only to lose by a neck repeat here wins.
2. Bladerunner: Hit hard at the start but still ran an improved race in last.
12. Set the Sail: Looks like a nice value play if race moves to the dirt.
2. Hayqs Fable: Has a winning race on the dirt to boast .
On turf selections: 3-8 .
3. Sir Tiz: Really like this one in this spot and feel improvement is forthcoming.
2. Kaynespotofgold: Willing to give this one another shot after in and out form.
4. Great Majestic: Looked like a short horse in last, but much fitter for this on dirt.
10. Tiz Lately: Ran into a buzz saw in last but catches no such horse here.
On turf selections: 1-6.
- inth race
6. Katy’s Duchess: Actually ran a very good race while extremely wide in last.
8. Sapphire Seas: First timer from the Larry Jones barn has been lighting track on fire in the AM.
7. Salty Martini: Fits the profile of a maiden special to claimer winner — speed to boot.
9. Flying Tinkerbell: Has a few races that would make her competitive with these.
8. Motorcycle Bobby: Throw out last and he looks competitive at a big price .
5. Cossinade Prince: Showed speed in first out but tired: will be fitter for this.
Around the Track
The year end Eclipse Awards will be bestowed in a few weeks and there are several Fair Grounds alums who raced here last year who are up for the coveted Eclipse. Leading that list is Fair Grounds Oaks winner I’m a Chatterbox who went on to win the Grade 1 Cotillion Stakes, while running third in the Kentucky Oaks. Local fans also got to glimpse Runhappy in the spring who went on to win the Breeder’s Cup Sprint. For the first time this year and as a new member of the National Turf Writers and Broadcasters Association I have the honor to vote on the awards and voted Chatterbox champion three-year-old filly and Runhappy champion sprinter.
Our best bet Saturday will be in Race 7 — No. 3 Sir Tiz. I believe we will see a big performance out of this one today based on a nice prep race last month. Good luck and may they all come home safely.