Michael Beychok, the 2012 National Handicapping Championship and 2012 Eclipse Award winner for best handicapper, brings 35 years of experience to The Advocate. Beychok — also the senior partner of Ourso Beychok Inc., a national political consulting firm based in Louisiana — is a partner in ttegames.net an online horse racing contest site. Follow him on Twitter: BeychokRacing.
7. Carmen’s Catcher: Might get out to a lead here with the surface switch.
3. Knockitoff: Looks to be a clever claim here with the run right back on turf.
7. Inspire Courage: Another one off the claim and into a good claiming barn.
2. Alzanbaq: Dropping off the win as trainer wants to leave this one in Nola.
7. Hembree: This is a nice horse coming back in a soft spot for trainer Sharp.
1. Midnight Oak: Top choice will have to have running shoes on to top this one.
8. Els Intoit: Last few are very consistent and does have race rider Melancon on.
7. Hancock County: Might be coming around for connections based on last race.
10. Man of Strife: Has won at the mile and half distance on the turf — that’s a plus.
3. Plug Catcher: Nice win in last and gets the race and hot rider Saez here.
10. Classic Greely: Showed some interest in the last and drops down to bottom here.
8. Ride: Has run against better in the past and got outrun in the last at this level.
5. His Royal Majesty: Has popped off a few nice works in last of the good series.
1. My Man Jax: First timer owned by footballer Wes Welker and crew.
10. Safari Calamari: Big run off a long layoff this one has shown some talent in past.
5. Teelfa: This distance may be just what this one needs to get into winner’s circle.
8. Grit: Last three on dirt can all win here and will get good trip stalking from outside.
2. Grande Basin: Just nipped by top choice and will be closing stoutly in stretch.
10. Aunt Nellie: Has an outside shot to upset the second choice here at nice odds.
7. Fancy Madelyn: Nothing to knock as this one has won last two very nicely.
8. Pocket Time: Drops down here to find much softer company than recent starts.
7. Parker’s Night Out: Should be able to close some with the speed signed on here.
4. Zars Star: Threw in a clunker in his last but any of other three are good enough.
10. Coxswain: Off the shelf second place finish signals tighter run for this heat.
10. Madame Begue: Closed a lot of ground in last and should take
to the turf course.
7. The Thrill is On: Never seems to work out a good enough trip to win.
9. Unbridledagain: Make a sneaky middle move in last but tired — ready for best run.
6. Afterimage: Runner up in last but was well clear of the third place finisher.
Around the track
We close out a terrific meet Sunday while finishing a bit under water with our Chok’s Choices. We will post our final stats on social media this week and I want to thank everyone who followed along through the year. Congrats to the meet leaders Florent Geroux and Brad Cox for winning the jockey and training titles, respectively, and again to the management of the Fair Grounds for putting on a great product for racing fans.
Our best bet today will be in Race 10 — No. 10 Aunt Nellie Let’s try to get a good long shot home to finish out the meet. Good luck and may they all come home safely.