Michael Beychok, the 2012 National Handicapping Championship and 2012 Eclipse Award winner for best handicapper, brings 35 years of experience to The Advocate. Beychok — also the senior partner of Ourso Beychok Inc., a national political consulting firm based in Louisiana — runs his own handicapping website, BeychokRacing.com. Follow him on Twitter: @BeychokRacing.
6. Fast Cast: Speedy type come back running.
4. Barbwirebilly: Amoss runner has been facing off with better recently.
7. Cousteau Mike: Eramia sticks with this one on the drop down.
6. Toast to Jason: Bet down to favorite in first start but showed little.
2. Slick Pardoned Me: Looks to get a great pace setup early and will be one to catch.
1. Java Man: Should get lead and might not quit up top.
6. Alvear: New trainer and jock upgrade might be good enough for the win.
4. Aqtaar: Looked like a promising horse here last year but drops down today.
5. Combatlaan: Gets first-week hot jock and goes down the class ladder.
3. La Jolla Beach: Back where he belongs after trying tougher last few.
6. Great Minds: No reason this closer won’t appreciate a bit more ground.
4. Shock Leader: Looks to go back to back for new trainer Cox.
10. Dride: Horse has shown some run in the mornings and bred for this.
5. Geraldton: Has shown early interest in every race; needs to find more later.
8. Cartoon: Two smashing wins to start career and doesn’t catch saltiest bunch here.
10. Allamerican Music: Last race was a corker but was at the last meet; has talent.
1. Clearly Now: Private purchase after last, this millionaire has a ton of class.
5. Control Stake: Gets in light but has speed to last until the wire.
1. Hello People: Third in a stake and can improve off that effort.
4. Kings Player: Has run into some tough company in first two starts.
Around the track
This year’s edition of the Thanksgiving Day Handicap features a hard-knocking millionaire recently purchased by Brittlyn Stable: Clearly Now. He should be tough to beat if he runs close to his prior efforts against the best sprinters in the country.
Our best bet today will be in Race 8: #8, Cartoon. This horse has shown promise in first two starts and should appreciate the turf and distance. Good luck, and may they all come home safely.