Michael Beychok, the 2012 National Handicapping Championship and 2012 Eclipse Award winner for best handicapper, brings 35 years of experience to The Advocate. Beychok — also the senior partner of Ourso Beychok Inc., a national political consulting firm based in Louisiana — runs his own handicapping website, BeychokRacing.com. Follow him on Twitter: @BeychokRacing.
4. Midnight Escapade: Couple of learning starts and this one is for the $$$.
5. Smelly Cat: Stretches out here and is well bred for the distance.
5. Bens Juliette: Dropping down for the win here for trainer Cox.
8. Snowy Girl: Lgical alternative to the top choice in this heat.
3. My Katkandu: In form and coming off a huge win in last can repeat.
2. Smokey Mary: First off the claim for Broberg and will improve here.
2. Back Stage Bonita: Back with original trainer and is fastest on turf.
4. My Myrina: Dropping down and a bit of freshening likes the turf.
Dirt selections 6-7
3. Thunders Rolling: Good comeback race much fitter for this and rolls.
2. Thestarvingsrtist: Needs the drop down might not have cared for Oaklawn.
2. Strike Impact: Today he is going to get his win on the class relief.
9. Cheyenne Pass: Had lead in last and gave it up late — holds on today?
Dirt selections: 5-9
9. Hornersbach: Third career race and going in the right direction.
6. St. Landry Cat: Back on dirt for this where it seems he fits.
3. Deep Bottom: First off claim for leading trainer Amoss — turf or dirt
2. Hail to the Nile: Speed on the turf trying to go all the way — turf only.
Dirt selections: 3-4.
4. Street Hoss: Looks to be the one who is consistent enough to trust in this spot.
7. Argumental: Not sure we will get race he ran in last but if so hard to beat.
5. My Grey Lady: Gets first Lasix and second career start and Eramia today.
8. Candy Cate: Showed good early speed in last and may have needed the race.
Dirt selections: 8-7
7. Feedmetothelion: Back on short rest is a positive move for Amoss.
6. Suave Ripples: First off claim by Sharp is almost an automatic bet at the meet.
Around the Track
Let’s take a peek at the entries for the Fair Grounds Oaks as this race has been highly predictive of who will win the Kentucky Oaks. I’m a Chatterbox could be the best 3-year-old filly in the country and a win Friday would make her one of the favorites for the Kentucky Oaks. Unbridled Forever tries to beat I’m a Chatterbox in her third attempt. Trainer Keith Desormeaux will ship in California based Danette who was fifth in the Breeders Cup beaten by champion Take Charge Brandi. Whomever comes out victorious in the race will be a strong win candidate for the Kentucky Oaks six weeks following.
Our Best Bet Friday will be in Race 6 the No. 2 Strike Impact. This old boy gets his best shot to get another win today as long as the race stays on the turf. Good luck to the connections. Good luck and may they all come home safely.