Michael Beychok, the 2012 National Handicapping Championship and 2012 Eclipse Award winner for best handicapper, brings 35 years of experience to The Advocate. Beychok — also the senior partner of Ourso Beychok Inc., a national political consulting firm based in Louisiana — runs his own handicapping website, BeychokRacing.com. Follow him on Twitter: @BeychokRacing.
Picks made today for fast track and on turf.
3. Southern Wind: One of many droppers in here showed some early giddyup.
6. Crimson Feline: Has a nice win over the course so must respect.
7. Forty Won Smarts: Has some real early pop that will be handy here.
10. Voodoo Spell: Only concern with likely winner is the distance too short?.
Off turf selections: 7-10.
4. Custom Made Ready: Second timer attracts leading rider Hernandez for this.
3. Sisters Image: Has been bet both times and run semi-OK in each effort.
8. Mister Ghazi: First time in the Sharp barn and deserves a good look at odds.
6. RM Money Talks: Has just gotten better in last two and repeat makes him likely winner.
Off turf selections: 6-8.
1. Royals Nightmare: Willing to give this one another shot off a muddy try.
2. Osidy Cat: Good second place effort in last and retains Murrill for the ride.
2. Guardmen: Going from synthetic to turf which can be positive angle.
11. Shutter Speed: Has to overcome the post position but is fastest of this bunch.
4. Magic Five: Has run 2nd at this condition but has had 10 tries to win first.
Off turf selections: 4-2.
1. Classy Corinthian: Well bet in last and has good works so let’s throw that one out.
2. Miss Cobblestone: First start at FG and drops down in class to get the win.
3. Cajun Kitten: Gets turf which should improve performance for this one.
1. Mageez: Disqualified in last but has run big last three times out.
Off turf selections: 1-3.
- inth race
9. Tobacco Fox: Has the right style here to run down the early speed.
10. Real Power: Popular in the claim box this one grabs Graham as the pilot.
5. Vadoma: Made a nice run to get into race then was empty in last: another shot.
8. Rosadas Rose: Big closing kicks in last two make this one dangerous at big odds.
Around the Track
Let’s take a end of week look at the jockey and trainer standings going into the final week of January. Florent Geroux has moved into a tie with previous leader Colby Hernandez through midday Saturday. It might be between these two from here on out. The trainer’s race is going to go to a photo finish. There are 5 trainers within 4 wins of the 18 leading wins Michael Stidham has put on the board including Tom Amoss, Bret Calhoun, Joe Sharp and Brad Cox. .
Our best bet today will be in Race 7 — No. 1 Classy Corinthian. Threw a dud in the last which she has done before, but has rebounded in the past with wins. Good luck and may they all come home safely.