Michael Beychok, the 2012 National Handicapping Championship and 2012 Eclipse Award winner for best handicapper, brings 35 years of experience to The Advocate. Beychok — also the senior partner of Ourso Beychok Inc., a national political consulting firm based in Louisiana — is a partner in ttegames.net an online horse racing contest site. Follow him on Twitter:
8. Totally Ours: Can see this one going all the way today and lasting on front.
1. Cactus Son: Like the way the race sets up for this one’s closing kick.
4. I Hope: Should be able to get the right trip behind early speed and last.
3. Caferina: Will be lunking up to pick up the pieces left over by the speed.
1a. Hotshot Anna: The preferred part of the entry has some talent.
6. Flatter Up: Had lead until deep stretch in the stakes race against nice ones.
7. Chicago Blues: Another one dropping likely to be near the front turning for home.
8. Red Fern: Don’t normally like these career non-winners but this is drop to win.
1. Number One Gal: Better post position today will make the difference in winning.
2. Lucy’s Miss Musket: Big win last out comes back against a bit tougher.
2. Enterprise Value: Stable is not afraid to drop and win with maidens.
1. Proud Commander: Another one who is dropping down from tougher competition.
2. Brother Pops: Think he has found a field he can beat here after two solid tries.
6. He’s All Mine: Willing to take the last race at face value and that effort can win.
4. Gator Ab: Was into the race all the way just lacked a needed finish to contend.
3. Cork Arm: Got going a bit too late to threaten in last but better start today.
Around the track
A starlight racing card today and tonight at the Fair Grounds and the weather should be perfect for some racing under the lights at the Fair Grounds. Patrons can not only enjoy the horse racing, but live music from DJ TAF and the Phunky Monkeys. If you have not experienced the vibe at a starlight racing event I would highly suggest coming out and seeing how racing is done under the lights at the Fair Grounds and as a little lagniappe there is a pretty good racing card on tap. First post today is set for 5 p.m.
Our Best Bet today will be in Race 5 — No. 1 Number One Gal. This one broke from outside post in last but gets much better starting position today at a short price. Good luck and may they all come home safely.